Monday, March 29, 2021

The Music Monday 2020 Awards - Results Announcement

And thus, the curtain closes on what was undoubtedly the wildest Awards show yet. We all sit on the edge of our seats, wondering which song will come out on top.


Normally, this is where we mention the four songs that ended up duking each other for the victory, but if you recall the update from two weeks ago, there was an unprecedented twist of fate. Two songs were left in the dust--"Sand 'N Sails Heatgusts" and "In Hushed Whispers"--while two other songs crossed the finish line with an equal number of votes--"Cherish" and "Attack on Titan." Thus, a round 3.5 was called to break that tie.

The weeks flew by, and 10 people voted. Once again, both songs were neck and neck with each other. I was prepared to once again do something that had never been done before; in this case, that would've been to have a joint victory for the two. But then, the balance was lost. One song received a single extra vote, and thus, a winner was determined. I'll get to that in a minute, though I first want to give the other song a moment of fame too.



When I originally talked about this song, I said that "cherish" was a word not oft used these days. But to me, it was one of the most fitting for 2020. I came to realize just how much I love and need my family and friends. I think the line "I'm gonna cherish you" has kind of become my silent motto now--though perhaps I should voice it more. I do indeed cherish those important people in my family and want do it even more.

And let's be honest: a peppy, upbeat love song with a heartfelt message is going to be liked a lot of people, as evidenced by how many votes it received along the way. I definitely understand why the competition was so close for the last four weeks. It's such an impressive feat, I couldn't not give it some recognition. The song and its achievements in the Awards deserve that much.

But don't just take it from me! Let's hear what some other people had to say about this one . . .

"It's such a peppy, summery song. Cotton candy sweet, yet with a heartfelt warmth to the lyrics of the chorus. It makes me happy every time I hear it. Plus, I love the blend of CBX's voices." -Tracey Dyck

"I love their energy and incredible talent!" -Mom

". . . EXO has had my heart for a long time and the song never ever fails to make me smile and feel good. The whole vibe of the song is very feel-good and I love it!" -lostfairyart (AKA Kaitlyn Dyck)

". . . it's a comfort song for me. I love the meaningful lyrics. The word cherish isn't used often enough. It means a lot to me." -chloegraceartist (AKA Chloe Dyck)

". . . I liked the sound better." -megandrawsportraits (AKA Megan Hiew)

Looks like everyone had some similar thoughts about that song! To me, that says the message came across right. Good show!



Hope. Dreams. Failure. Regret. Death. Sacrifice. Love. Friendship. Terror. Betrayal. Power. Trust.

Those words are just a few subject matters that Attack on Titan, and honestly, that doesn't do it justice. The show epitomizes, in my mind, what a perfect story should be. It gives you well-developed characters that you love (or love to hate, in some cases), an intriguing and engaging storyline with shocking twists that foreshadowed extremely well, intense battle sequences as Titans converge on what remains of humanity, and raw emotions through the various means, including some heartbreaking deaths. And then when it's all said and done, you're left with some food for thought and messages that stick with you long after the story is over.

How does one convey this through the means of music? You might not think it's possible, but trust me, Hiroyuki Sawano's epic and stirring score for the anime more than does the job. He combines things you wouldn't necessarily expect go together: soaring choirs, German vocals, Zimmer-like orchestration, gritty electronic elements, intense electric guitar riffs, and Asian instrumentation to create a sweeping set of songs and leitmotifs. From the horror of the oncoming Titan scourge, to the wrenching dirges for the deceased, to the breathers and moments of quiet, he sets the mood for any scene perfectly.

This particular song is one of the first you hear in the show, as the enemy destroys the peace the people had for a hundred years and devours the fleeing humans. It really sets the mood of the show and makes you take the storyworld and the threat therein very seriously. And the vocals! I know I talked about this when I posted the song for the first time, but I just have to bring it up again. The main female vocalist, a lady by the name of Mika Kobayashi, is singing these lyrics:

Die Erde dröhnt und wird rot
Die Leute erinnern sich an diese Tragödie

Ist das der Zerstörer oder der Schöpfer?
Mit der Glut des Hasses schwenken wir die Schwerter
Ist das unser Schicksal oder unser Wille?
Wir werden kämpfen, bis dieser heiße Wind unsere Flügel nimmt

Was finden wir jenseits dieses Horizontes?

When translated from German to English, we find that she's saying this:

The earth roars and turns red
The people remember that tragedy

Is this the destroyer or the creator?
With the blaze of hate we swing the swords
Is that our fate or our will?
We will fight until this hot wind takes our wings

What will we find beyond this horizon?

This perfectly describes the overall tone and message of the show. When the show was being made, there are at least three individuals who worked very closely together: the writer of the manga, the director, and the composer. Attack on Titan's story is complex and detailed enough that if one thing was messed up, the whole plot could fall to pieces. That's why the key players were on the same page at all times, and I think it's also a huge reason why the show has been so successful. All of the music, both lyrical and instrumental, have added so much to the story and its impact on me.

And of course, we had people in the comments section letting us know why they voted for this song! Let's see what they had to say . . .

". . . the instrumentals in ["Attack on Titan"] are legendarily chilling." -angelarwattsauthor (AKA Angela R. Watts)

"It's just SUCH a good OST." -Nicole Dust

"Though I've yet to watch the show, the piece alone portrays such a BIGNESS to it. I love the drama of it and the wide array of emotions the song pulls you through. It has a sort of end-of-the-world vibe, but a sense of hope, as well--that the heroes will stand against all odds and never give up. It's a really good song and makes me want to watch the show that much more!" -Christine Smith

"Oh man... I guess I'm actually gonna have to think of a valid reason why I chose this song other that the simple fact that AoT is just that epic.

"Well, the song really captures the dark, intense, and sometimes scary theme of AoT. I love the complexity of the track but at the same time I also like the way the vocals that repeat themselves get stuck in your head (definitely isn't a bad thing in this case).

"I hoped at least some of you enjoyed reading my fake, I mean, totally honest and in-depth review of the 'Attack on Titan' song!

"I definitely did NOT choose this song just because AoT is awesome and you should totally watch it. Watch it tho. Please. Just watch it." -Preston Hiew

And there you have it! That finally concludes the 2020 Awards. Congratulations to the both the winner and the honorary winner for getting so far! And thank you to everyone who participated! Without you and your efforts, this wouldn't have been nearly as interesting as it was. What are your thoughts on the winners and the whole show? Any constructive feedback, or have we found our footing pretty good? My thanks go out to EXO-CBX and Hiroyuki Sawano for giving us music that helped get us through 2020!

2 comments:

  1. *APPLAUDS* This was definitely one wild Music Awards...and I loved every minute of it! :D I cannot believe these two almost tied AGAIN and a single vote tipped the scales. :O But, seriously, they both deserve all the recognition. They are fantastic songs and I'm so glad you introduced them to us!

    Thank you for hosting this!!! I had a BLAST. I have no constructive feedback, I think the way you run them works perfectly. I'm already looking forward to next year's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these songs definitely deserved the top spots! I would have been happy with either winner, but of course it's awesome that AoT got the edge! :D
    Thanks for hosting, Josiah!

    ReplyDelete