Friday, April 02, 2021

Monthly HapPENings: March

Well, hel-LO there, April! How'd you get here so fast?


Seriously, where the heck did March end up going? It was here one minute and gone the next. And guess what? I didn't do squat! I know this is probably getting super boring at this point, but for real, there's nothing all that spectacular or noteworthy happening in my life right now--though I suppose that's the same for a lot of people, what with the lockdowns and restrictions and what-have-you. I did go to a local restaurant with my sisters for supper the other day. That was fun, since we haven't eaten out in quite some time. I just want things to get back to normal already.

Bookish HapPENings

Didn't really do any reading last month; in fact, I haven't even started my next book. But I want to get at least this one novel done before May, so . . . cross your fingers with me!

HapPENings on the Screen


I recently watched both Incredibles movies, and dang! I knew I absolutely loved the two films, but I think I had forgotten just how much. Like, I'm tempted to blog about them sometime, because they're actually some of the most mature Disney-Pixar movies to date. Plus they got really creative with their spins on the superhero genre, the first installment doing this even before the genre was popular. I need to get them for myself one of these days.


Just finished Joker Game several days ago. If you want a really interesting spy movie with more realism than Mission: Impossible despite being animated, you should watch it. The ending was very different from what I thought it would be, but I can certainly appreciate it. And while the whole show is very episodic, I think it does very well at telling the story and the messages that it wants to tell. I'd divulge into it more, but spoilers, am I right? (I really need to start a series of posts where I analyze anime.)


So I've been watching S4 of My Hero Academia for several weeks now--really loving the plot of the first arc. It's creepy, it's intense, and the fact that there's some dark realism to some of the plot points just makes everything hit that much harder. (Can't discuss those points, because, y'know, spoilers.) And then there's also the fact that I have no idea where the season is going to go afterward. Makes me very, very curious--and a tad worried.


While we're on the subject of hero shows, I've started watching S6 of The Flash. I'd say it's pretty solid so far! There was a time where the show was looking kind of meh, but I think it's found its stride again. The plot is pretty interesting, especially with how it was set up with stuff from the previous season. I also appreciate that it's only 19 episodes this time around. I've often felt like the other seasons have had a few "fluff and filler" episodes, so perhaps this will ensure that the plot is honed in on.


I was a bit nervous going into S2 of Psycho-Pass, as I'd seen people saying it wasn't as good as the first season. I needn't have bothered--I've found the second season to be just as good as its predecessor. Both are dark, violent tales that have very interesting commentary on society and free will. In fact, I'd say a lot of those messages and warnings hold true with everything going on these days. It makes it a very timely watch for me. I look forward to seeing how things conclude in this season!

Gaming HapPENings


Last week Saturday, I ended up playing Super Mario Odyssey for an hour or two. In that time, I reached Bowser's Kingdom, and was I not expecting it. First off, the architecture itself is unlike the usual for the Koopa King. He tends to have blockier, medieval-style castles. This one, as you can see, veers into the Japanese style--which I absolutely love. The backdrop of a moonlit sky with colorful clouds also helps make this final world a very memorable one. Did I mention the music, by the way? Because it is DOPE. I suspect I'll be finishing the main story in this game the next time I play, so I'm curious about that, as well as the endgame content.


Normally when I play my 2DS XL, I'll play a few different games at a time before I decide to change to a few other games. Not so in the month of March. During that time, I instead played 15-20 hours of just Tomodachi Life, and I loved every moment of it. Like, I really enjoyed the game before, but in the span of 31 days, I think it's become one of my top favorite 3DS titles of all time. It's so much fun and so nonsensical. For example, a character from The Flash show recently broke up with Tracey and was feeling super sad about it. My youngest two sisters and I hosted a pity party for him at the cafĂ©, but the saddest part was that--while us other three had the most random and hilarious conversations--whenever we'd look at him for input, he'd stare unblinkingly at his cake. There are also the little things that make the game amusing, like how I gave my friend Preston a boxing suit, which he loved. He then proceeded to, whilst wearing his boxing gloves, type away furiously at his keyboard while someone sat there with him. If you have a 3DS or any of the other systems in its family, you need to buy this game.

Writerly HapPENings

And just like last month and the month before and so on and so forth, I have nothing to say in this section. I don't know how long it's been now since I last properly written, but . . . yeah. Maybe April will be different? Guess we'll see.

So that was my March! How was yours? Did it also fly by way too fast? What did you end up doing? Oh, and happy Good Friday/Easter to you and your family!

1 comment:

  1. March seriously blazed by. o.o Actually the whole YEAR is blazing by and I can't keep up! Pure craziness. And I hear you on nothing greatly interesting going on because SAME. But hey, there's no shame in that! Sometimes life is just quiet and normal and it's in the little things where the joy is found. And I still always enjoy your monthly recaps!

    Ooooh, The Incredibles! Only my favorite Pixar movie EVER, which is saying something! BUT IT'S SO GOOD. The sequel disappointed me a bit, but it was still a lot of fun. I would love if you blogged about that! That would be really fun seeing your thoughts!

    You're reminding me that I've got to make time for Mario Odyssey. I've had it since December and still haven't touched it... *shakes head at self* ONE DAY. And Tomodachi Life definitely sounds like a riot. XD

    Happy Good Friday! I do hope you and your family have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete