Monday, April 19, 2021

The Hundredth Post! /// Music Monday #100

I never really thought that when I started my blog a few years back, I'd end up sharing 100 songs with you. Like, it's a super crazy thought . . . but also not, somehow? I wonder if I'll wind up reaching 200 Music Monday posts.


When I was trying to decide what song I should choose to commemorate this momentous occasion, I figured it had to be one that was special to me in some way. Well, extra special, perhaps. As I wracked my brain, one song came to mind, and it has a very special place in my heart. I give to you . . .

"Guren no Yumiya" from the album Jiyuu e no Shingeki
Performed by Linked Horizon

(Yes, I know I just did an anime song, but bear with me.)


When I thought about this particular song, I tried to recall just how I discovered it. It was one of two ways: I either first heard it in a meme video and ended up listening to the whole thing (which I'm 99% certain was how I found it), or I randomly wanted to check out anime music (which is definitely not sounding right the more I think about it). The important thing is that I found it and listened. It was in that moment that my life was changed.

You see, I liked the song so much that it made me want to watch the show. Who would've thought that hearing a single song would light such a strong interest in me? That interest was enough to buy the first two and a half seasons off of eBay without having watched a single episode. On the fateful day of September 15, 2019, I began my journey both into Attack on Titan and anime in general, and I haven't looked back.

I'm sure you're very well aware by this point that I absolutely love Attack on Titan and am maybe, kinda, just a little obsessed with it. But who knows what would've happened if I hadn't heard the song first? How much longer would it have taken me to watch the show? Would I have ever seen it? (The answer is yes, I think I would've gotten around to it eventually. But that's easy to say now, 'cuz I don't actually know.)

What is it about the song that I love so much? Well, there's that amazing choir that starts the song off with an angelic bang. Then the rest of the instruments kick in, with all the drums and strings and guitars and who-knows-what else. Honestly, "Guren no Yumiya" is a perfect example of just how well "regular" rock instruments can work with an orchestra and a choir. The combination is almost deadly. And let's not forget Revo's voice and how awesome it is too. There's something very . . . likeable about it. I couldn't tell you what exactly, but considering that this song got me into Japanese music, he obviously did something right.

Can I also say that it's cool to hear a Japanese person speak German? Works really well considering that the show is very European-based. Fun side note: the main character, Eren, has the last name Jaeger. In German, that translates to "hunter." So the very first line in the song approximately translates as, "We aren't the prey, we are the hunters!" It fits very well as one of the major themes of the show, not to mention the fact that the song is kind of considered to be Eren's theme.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. As you can tell, this song is one of my favorites (and is very popular with fans, as they often are referring to this one if they talk about the theme song for Attack on Titan), and it means a lot to me in a few different ways. Seemed like a very appropriate thing to share in celebration of 100 Mondays of music.

So what're your thoughts on "Guren no Yumiya?" Does it make you want to watch Attack on Titan as well? Any thoughts on the last 100 Music Monday posts? I say we raise a glass to the next 100--cheers and huzzah, I say!

2 comments:

  1. AAAAAHHHH HAPPY 100TH!!!!!! *throws music note shaped confetti* That is wild you've shared a whole 100 songs! It's been absolutely AMAZING. I love these posts and have discovered some of the BEST music from you. Assassin's Creed, Ori, Hollow Knight soundtracks, and Rozen's stuff are probably my favorites ever that I discovered from you, but I know there are many more!

    Basically? You have really good music taste and I can't wait to see the next hundred songs you share with us! ;D

    And okay, but this song. O___O It was so good it practically gave me chills! I can DEFINTIELY see why it sparked your interest in Attack on Titan. And how special it was a song that first introduced you to the show. I love that!

    *raises glass* 100 songs is definitely a reason to celebrate! Thank you for filling our ears with so many amazing tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, happy 100th Music Monday!!! It's been so fun to find new music through these posts - I especially loved the Hollow Knight soundtrack! :D

    And this is an absolutely perfect song to pick for your 100th post. ;) I think Guren no Yumiya got me into Attack on Titan as well - I remember watching the opening on YouTube and thinking, "Wow, this is incredible. Maybe the show isn't as overhyped as I think it is." XD Needless to say . . . it deserves all the hype and more. :D

    (I had no idea that Eren's last name means "hunter," and I . . . don't know how to process this information. XD It's just too perfect.)

    ReplyDelete