Monday, June 04, 2018

My First Zelda Song /// Music Monday #25

Master, the music in your soul is nearly depleted.


I just realized yesterday that, for reasons beyond me, I have not highlighted any song from The Legend of Zelda series. What's wrong with me?! Today, I must amend that grievance.

"Overworld Adventure" from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Composed by Nintendo


If you know me, you'd (probably) know I've got a thing for underrated media. If it isn't popular enough to be mainstream, but it deserves all the love it can get, I will show it off! I will sing its praises from the rooftops, and I will not stop until I have convinced others of its greatness.

That goes for Spirit Tracks. Not only was it less popular because it was on a handheld system (the DS), but there are people who have issues with the art style. To them, I say, "Pssh! You don't know what you're missing." Seeing as this was my first Zelda game, I figured I should showcase a song from it.

The overworld theme is an excellent one. Because the game is all about trains (and who doesn't love a fantasy land mixed with steam technology?), the music sounds very fitting for such a mode of transportation. You can practically hear the chugging of the engine, the toot of the whistle, the rush of wind blowing past . . . It just puts you, mentally speaking, into a train.

It's also very catchy. If the music that plays in a game's main map is bad or annoying, that isn't going to help players like the game. But this song, like all the others, is a good tune. That's not to say it won't start to get annoying if you drive across the land for too long, but while you're there, it gets you in the right state of mind.

I'm now debating if I like this more than the Hyrule Field theme from Ocarina of Time, and I have to say, I think this is the better overworld song. Classics have their place, sure, but I think this song is more unique. Ocarina's might be able to suit more than one game, since it has an overall fantasy vibe. This one, however, immerses you into the Spirit's world and makes it believable.

What'd ya think? Do you root for the underdogs too? Have you played any of the handheld Zelda titles? Would you like more music from the series? (You actually don't have a choice in the matter. Even if you say no, I'm still including more.)

2 comments:

  1. ZELDA MUSIC IS MY LIIIIIIIFFFEEEEE!!! I may have squeaked when I saw that's what you chose for today's song. Also I LOVED Phantom Hourglass *and* Spirit Tracks. They were fantastic games. I 100% agree that this is a fantastic song. It's so thrilling and absolutely perfect for riding the tracks with. I adore the remixed version of it played near the beginning of the Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Medly. (I'm sure you've heard all those songs? The CD originally came with Skyward Sword and IT'S SO GOOD. But I feel like we've talked about this before...?) Anyways, it's fantastic!

    Now I would never say it's as good as the Ocarina of Time Hyrule Field song. Buuut OOT was MY first Zelda, so it makes total sense why we'd both feel the way we do with them. And you're right, each music fits the style and feel of each game to perfection. But also the OOT music is my favorite Zelda music EVER. XD

    Okay, I could sit here and fangirl over Zelda music to the end of time, but I'll spare you. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this song :) Some of my siblings play Zelda (I think). I just like the music.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete