Friday, June 01, 2018

Monthly HapPENings: May

Hey! Listen! It's June, which means it's time for another Monthly HapPENings post.


So what happened this past month? Let's see . . . I worked a lot of evening weekend shifts. Which wasn't fun, but whatcha gonna do? I, uh . . . did stuff at home? I know I say this every month, but nothing terribly big or exciting happened. Whether that's a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing is up to you.

Oh, yeah. I found water in the basement, and we discovered we had a leak in the house. It shifted recently, and a pipe in the wall cracked. Whenever we used our main floor bathroom's sink, it would send water gushing into the basement. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, because sharing one bathroom downstairs isn't fun.

And to report back on my words, as I mentioned in last week's post: I noticed that while I didn't necessarily complain or say negative things, I also didn't say positive stuff. I was wondering if that was going to be my problem. I also noticed that it's sometimes easy for me get stuck in a bad mental rut, where I focus on the negative. Now that I know the problem, I can treat it properly. How'd your week go?

Bookish HapPENings

source

I went into this book hoping it'd end up being good, but nay, those hopes were dashed against the rocks! From characters who seemed insane by the amount of times they talked to themselves, to a villain who was initially really cool, then somehow got boring by the finale, to typical school story tropes . . . It was unfortunate, really. The premise of the story is cool, but the mediocre writing ruined it. There's too much to talk about now, so maybe I'll do a full review of it another day.

source

Yes, I actually read two books this month. And even though this was a reread, I was still captivated by the writing style, the plot, and the great characters. I devoured it too, which is always fun to do. It was also cool to read this knowing the plot twist ahead of time, and seeing how Jennifer set everything up. If you haven't read this book yet, do it! It is well-worth the time.

HapPENings on the Screen

source

Spider-Man 2 was . . . blegh. In fact, the whole "original trilogy" is blegh. They are basically all the same plot disguised as three separate films. Spider-Man struggling with his powers? Check! Relationship issues with MJ? Check! Villains who create themselves through bad science experiments? Check! MJ gets kidnapped? Check! Villain ends up being his own demise? Check! How boring and predictable. I used to love these movies when I was younger, but now? They bore me. I'd like the two hours I spent on this film back, please.

source

I rewatched The Death Cure with my family, and man! What an outstanding film. I can honestly say it has made me cry more than any other movie has. Like, when I say I cried during a movie or TV show or whatever, it usually means it twisted my feels and made my eyes water. But I actually had tears falling down my face this time. Definitely a powerful and moving experience.


While I only watched one episode this month, it was a good one. When I first saw "Attack on Gorilla City," I deemed it as one of my least favorite episodes from S3. But I think I've changed my mind. It was actually really enjoyable! Things I hadn't really understood before clicked now, and the CGI was amazing. There was a close-up shot of one gorilla, with the sunlight on him, and his fur just looked so real! Once could afford to take a page out of The Flash's book.

Gaming HapPENings

source

I had barely played this game when I first got it, due to my youngest two sisters wanting to watch it. But since they agreed they didn't need to see me play, I restarted this month. What a fun--and surprisingly addicting--game it is. It takes the RPG style and makes it really entertaining, allowing you to choose the cast. It embraces the tropes, having everybody from a Dark Lord to a Great Sage to a Guardian Spirit. It also isn't above poking fun at other Nintendo games. At one point, when my party came into view of the castle, I (as in, the representation of me in the game) pipes up, "I bet there's a princess there." My friend quips, "No, the princess is always in another castle," a jibe at the old Super Mario Bros. game. A great experience all-around!

source

I'm replaying this game with Chloe and Kaitlyn, and it's been so much fun. Not to mention that it's one big nostalgia trip for me. It's the best Kirby title I've played, and it's also one of the best games I've ever played in my life. The replayability factor is huge for me. I don't get bored playing this. If you have never played a Kirby game before, I highly recommend this one as your first. The plot is interesting, the art style is charming, the gameplay is enjoyable, the music is absolutely phenomenal . . . what more do I need to say?

Writerly HapPENings

I've begun to read over and tweak what I have written for The Tournament of Convicts. Hopefully I'll find the time next month to blast through it. I'm really enjoying it! There's a few things that I would do differently now, but they're not so serious that they ruin the flow of the story. Wish me luck!

How was your month? Do anything exciting? Now that summer is upon, what're your plans? Remember, any questions submitted for the vlog will no longer be accepted. I've got 60+ as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment