Monday, January 27, 2020

A Shorty but Goodie /// Music Monday #68

Oh, would you look at the time? It's time for . . .


Today's song is going to be . . .

"Echoes" from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Composed by Takeru Kanazaki and Yasuhisa Baba


(Just a warning: this song is super short, and the post will be the same, because I'm pretty tired right now.)

So I'm not one to usually showcase a song that's much under two minutes or so (probably a minute and a half at the shortest). I had to make an exception with this one, though, because of just how beautiful it is.

It's the main menu theme for the Fire Emblem game Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden. I have not played very much of this game at all, which is a shame because I do really want to get into the FE franchise. From what little I have played, I already knew it was incredible. It had me crying within the first few minutes of the game, thanks to an emotional cutscene that somehow managed to strike me right in the heart even though I had literally just met the main characters. An emotional bond was created instantaneously; I have never experienced anything else quite like this.

The music captures the tone of the game masterfully in such a brief amount of time. The emotional piano, the militaristic drums, and the heartrending vocals blend together and tell a tale of woe and tragedy, as two childhood friends are torn apart by war and must fight each other from opposing kingdoms.

Dang . . . now I'm really wanting to get back into this!

Sorry for such a short post today. What'd you think of the song? Have you played Echoes before, or any other Fire Emblem game?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, this is BEAUTIFUL. What an emotional piece! It really fits with my playlist for one of my novels, Kings Bleed Gold. In fact, I'm gonna go add it to that playlist right now! Thank you for sharing! :D

    I played a Fire Emblem game briefly yeeeears ago (and I can't even remember which one it was, shamefully). I liked the style and story of the game, but the gameplay itself just wasn't my favorite. Which made me sad. I know these are really popular and I WANT to like them. But, yeah, I just wasn't getting into it. Maybe I should give another one a shot sometime!

    ReplyDelete