Friday, January 10, 2020

My Top Ten 3DS Games of 2019

It's no secret that I'm a gamer. I feel like in today's day and age, people who game can often be looked down on. But I'm proud to be one. Gaming helps me relax and unwind. It allows me to experience worlds that are wild and filled with adventure. I can live out stories that entertain and move me, or I can just enjoy a bit of a fun or a good challenge.

One of my favorite, if not my favorite, ways to game is by playing my 2DS XL with my headphones on and just getting lost in the moment. I bought the system back in the summer of 2017; it's the only gaming system I have purchased on the release day. I preferred it over the 3DS XL, which I had borrowed from a friend prior. It didn't have a great battery life (though I never checked the brightness level to see if it was too high), and I didn't care for the 3D feature. The regular 2DS is a clunky piece of stiff plastic that doesn't fold, so the 2DS XL was a great compromise. I mean, playing all 3DS and DS games, plus having a huge online store? Sign me up!


I've played it a lot since the day I bought it, and whenever I go through seasons where I just don't have time to play it regularly . . . I feel it. It does wonders in terms of taking care of my mental health, as it allows me to stop for a while and just breathe. One of the best purchases I've ever made, for sure.

Now, I asked on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter if I should write a blog post about my top ten or fifteen 3DS games of 2019, with ten being a nice number and fifteen being more content. Surprisingly--yet not surprisingly--more people voted for the top ten. This list comes from an application on my device that records each game I play, how long I've played it in total, how long the average play session is, etc. For my detailed and nerdy sides of my brain, this is absolutely genius, and more consoles should do this.

I can also check to see what games I've played in a day, week, month, or year. That makes it really easy to do posts like these. So based on playtime for 2019, here are my top ten games of the year and why! (Some of these are surprising in different ways, and others are no surprise at all.)

#10: Kirby: Planet Robobot (5:54)


source

The game starts out with Kirby at his best: sleeping under a tree. As he does, a terrifying shadow blocks out the sky. It's a giant ship of sorts, the base of operations for the Haltmann Works Company, and it begins to terraform Planet Popstar into a fully mechanized world. King Dedede and Meta Knight both attempt to stop the company, but fall quickly. When Kirby awakes, he finds himself in a strange world. Determined to save his homeworld once again, he sets off on a mission to prevent Haltmann's machinations from seeing their full fruition. But is he too late?

Every Kirby game has their gimmick. Kirby Mass Attack was about Kirby being split into ten mini Kirbys. Kirby's Epic Yarn saw him become an outline of yarn saving a fabric kingdom. In Planet Robobot, it's about using a mech suit that can absorb thirteen specific Copy Abilities that are used to solve puzzles.

Why this game? Well, first off, I just love the Kirby series as a whole. This one has a really unique plot and gimmick, and I'm a sucker for robot battlesuits. I think this is honestly one of the best Kirby titles I've ever played. There's just something about it that really shines. (Also, it has a fantastic score. Go look up "Vs. Star Dream" right now and tell me I'm wrong. If you do, you're lying to yourself.) Now, it definitely feels a bit easier and shorter than some other Kirby games I've played, but at the end of the day, it provides me with sheer joy, and that's all that matters.

#9: Kirby: Triple Deluxe (6:35)


source

Like the previous game on the list, this one also begins with Kirby sleeping--in his home this time, though. He gets up in the morning to find that a giant beanstalk has taken his house way up into the clouds. Spying Dedede's castle higher up, he races over to see if the king is behind this dastardly trick. When he reaches there, however, he finds a strange creature named Taranza, who kidnaps Kirby's rival. Choosing to save Dedede and find out what's going on, Kirby pursues the strange foe further up the beanstalk to lands unknown . . .

The gimmick for Triple Deluxe is twofold. First, it has the Miracle Fruit, which Kirby can eat to gain the Copy Ability known as Hypernova. It maximizes his inhalation and allows him to solve puzzles by sucking up pretty much anything. The second is the introduction of 3D elements. Obviously, a game like Kirby's Return to Dream Land is already 3D, but not quite in the same way. Triple Deluxe was made with the 3DS in mind, as it added background areas instead of there just being foreground areas. Bad guys can hop from one to the other or attack you from one side. Sometimes there'll be other things--like giant, spring-loaded hands--in the background that can pop out and smash you against the screen. It's really quite clever.

Why this game? Well, it's truly a stellar Kirby experience--probably my second favorite, with Return to Dream Land being the top. It's more challenging than Planet Robobot, and it reminded me a lot--in a good way--of RtDL. Again, the music is incredible, and you're only kidding yourself if you think it isn't. Plus, I loved being able to play through the whole game as Dedede later on. The bosses were challenging, especially when doing the True Arena and whatnot. Also, Taranza and his boss both had interesting backstories/motivations, which really adds something to the experience. Just a fantastic game all around.

#8: Kirby Battle Royale (6:38)


source

I swear, this is the last Kirby game on the list. It kicks off with Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee receiving an invitation from King Dedede to join his grand tournament. The prize? A gigantic cake! How can Kirby resist? But when they get there, they find that there are other Kirbys. In fact, the king has been using a device called the Kirby Printer to create colorful clones of the hero. Dedede intends to humiliate Kirby once and for all. Will the pink puffball win the tournament, or will he be defeated by himself?

Kirby Battle Royale is very different from other Kirby titles, in the fact that it's really just a bunch of battle minigames with different goals. One is a straight-up arena brawl; another has you tossing crystals onto a moving train; yet another sees you taking on the boss known as Robo Bonkers to score the most hit points. You can either play a match by yourself, do multiplayer (both local and online, though online doesn't allow you to specifically play with your friends), and take on story mode. Meanwhile, you unlock costumes, music, Copy Abilities, and minigames.

Why do I love this game? Mainly because it's a fresh spin on the Kirby franchise. The minigames are surprisingly fun, and the story mode is pretty entertaining. Even the animation style is a bit different from some of the recent series entries. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did, but it seems that wasn't the case in the end. My two main gripes are that I can't play with Preston--one of my Kiwi friends--online, because that's actually one of the main reasons why I bought the game; and that the online playerbase is pretty much completely dead at this point. Other than that, it's a fun little game that's best in short bursts.

#7: Mario Party: Island Tour (7:05)


source

Obviously, this game doesn't really have much of a plot, since only the single-player mode has any story to it. I suppose that's like Kirby Battle Royale, but the occasional Mario Party game (like Mario Party DS) did have a plot that included the party boards. Anyway, the story here is that Mario and friends get a letter inviting them to the Party Islands; the letter explodes into bubbles that surround everyone and takes them up to these fun, floating isles. Jealous that he wasn't invited, Bowser creates his own tower and begins make his own evil bubbles. (That has got to be the weirdest thing I've said today.) Mario and company have to stop Bowser before he takes away everyone's fun. Yes, this is the plot, and no, I never said it was a good one.

Mario Party: Island Tour ditches the car from Mario Party 9 (as well as 10 later on) and goes back to having several boards with different objectives and time lengths. For example, Perilous Palace Path is like a "regular" board where you simply have to reach the end, but you receive Mario Kart-esque items along the way to use against your opponents. Star Crossed Skyway requires that you gain the most Mini Stars to win, whether you finish first or last. Shy Guy's Shuffle City is only playable if you have three or four human players. Plus, you can play various minigame modes, take on Bowser's Tower, etc.

Why this game? I've always enjoyed the Mario Party series, especially if I'm playing with other people. That's probably how I got most of those seven hours, by playing with Kaitlyn and/or Chloe. (I don't recall if the game allows for online multiplayer, so I don't know if Preston and I could play together if he owned it as well.) Would I say it's the best Mario Party game I've played? No, I don't think I would. But that doesn't mean it isn't entertaining.

#6: Animal Crossing: New Leaf (9:07)


source

Animal Crossing games never have grand plots, but they don't need 'em. You arrive at a town filled with friendly animals who seem to think you're their new mayor. Soon thereafter, a letter arrives from the anonymous person who was actually supposed to be the mayor. They're content to let you take on the role in their stead. Now it's up to you to create your own happy community with the help of your assistant, Isabelle.

There are tons of life simulation games out there, but none of them are as charming as Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It's one that I never get tired of playing. There's always so much you can do. You can chat it up with the town residents and help them with errands or requests. You can hunt down every last fossil, fish, insect, and painting to donate to the museum. You can travel to an island run by the former mayor, Tortimer, and play fun minigames to get special items. You can tend to your mayoral duties and do things like raise money for public works projects. You can invite your friends over to play together. Heck, you can even . . . pay your house's mortgage! (Which thankfully has no interest on it.)

Why do I love this game? This is one 3DS title that always really relaxes me. Something about it is just so calming, so soothing. The whole atmosphere of the game, from the chill music to the art style to the fact that you're living out a dream life, never fails to get me calm. It's pretty much perfect in every way. My only regret is how little I played it in 2019. Seriously, nine hours would've been several play sessions. This honestly makes me want to play it more this year. If you're looking to try an Animal Crossing or a life simulation title, I can't recommend this one enough. IT'S HECKING ADORABLE.

#5: Mario Kart 7 (12:19)

source

So obviously the Mario Kart series never has integrated a plot into any of the games. But they don't need to, because that's not the point of the franchise. The point is to race against your loved ones and get super competitive, talking louder and louder the more you play, and screaming in rage if you get hit by either a red or blue shell right before the finish line and someone else steals your win.

This one added a lot of new features and ideas when it first came out. It allows you to customize your kart by picking the body, the wheels, and the glider; this affects your stats, so you wanna pick the right parts to get the best car possible. Courses allow you to drive underwater one moment and then soar through the air in the next. You can even race in a first-person perspective, if you so desire.

Why this game? It's another one of those that's just a good ol' time, whether playing solo or multiplayer. Again, I think a good portion of those twelve hours came from playing with Preston, as well as some with Chloe and Kaitlyn. I'd have to say that, based on the Mario Kart games I've played, this one's the second best (Mario Kart 8 being on the top of the list). Sure, the online multiplayer occasionally has connection issues, but other than that, this is a top-tier Mario Kart experience. The series is truly one of the best racing franchises.

#4: Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (13:44)


source

(This is technically a DS game, but I played it on my 2DS XL, so it counts.) It's just another day in the Mushroom Kingdom. Professor E. Gadd has just unveiled his newly-created time machine. Princess Peach decides to take part in this momentous occasion and uses the machine to visit the past. When it comes back, however, out steps not the princess in pink, but rather a hostile alien. A time hole opens up in the castle, and Mario and Luigi use it to visit the past. They discover that a race called the Shroobs are invading the Mushroom Kingdom of bygone years. In order to save both past and present, the bros must team up with their baby selves to take on Princess Shroob and her vast army. And the enemy is not afraid to do whatever it takes to win . . .

I'd played this game before, but I never was able to beat the final boss. I found myself kind of disappointed by the experience and left it for a while. Eventually, I decided to restart it, and I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I did the first time, now that my expectations were better. It's full of colorful locales, challenging foes, tough boss fights . . . all of that good stuff!

Why do I love it? First off, like most--if not all--of the Mario & Luigi series, it's freaking dark! Like, would you expect a Mario game to strongly imply that UFOs are shooting Toads, or to show that aliens are sucking their life forces for power? The plot is very solid, as it's part time travel, part alien invasion. If you don't have anything about the final boss spoiled for you, there's a great twist close to the end. The music is obviously phenomenal, because Yoko Shimomura. The callback to Yoshi's Island is perfect and hits me right in the nostalgia, since that was my first Mario game. I only wish that it had been remade in the new art style, because right now it's the only title in the series that wasn't. However, with the 3DS being a now-dead system, and with the developers, AlphaDream, filing for bankruptcy, that's never going to happen. Other than that, this is most definitely a fantastic experience.

#3: Miitopia (15:13)


source

The world of Miitopia is a happy one. Everyone gets along with each other, and peace reigns over the land . . . until the Dark Lord shows up one day to steal people's faces! To make matters worse, he puts these faces onto monsters he's created. Who will save the day and take back the faces of Miitopia?

Well, that's where you come in. One of the greatest, most entertaining aspects of Miitopia is the fact that you choose who every single character is. You can either create Miis, use ones you've already created in the Mii Maker or Tomodachi Life, or use ones that people have made and shared online. Want the Dark Lord to be that in-law you despise? Done deal. Feel like saving the world as your favorite celebrity? Not a problem! What I did was play as myself, then had a couple of my friends, YouTubers I like, and several Undertale characters join my party. It was absolute blast fighting off monsters, leveling up, and doing other RPG things with my hand-selected team.

Why do I love this game? The casting element is obviously a huge selling point for me. Even though there can be a fair bit of grinding involved (like any RPG, honestly), it was still thoroughly enjoyable. The amusing storyline had me hooked, and I always looked forward to seeing whose face would end up on which boss. The music is surprisingly good, and the level/world design was solid, even if some parts might be considered simplistic or stereotypical. All in all, a fun game that had me staying up late often because I just had to play "one more level."

#2: Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (32:36)


source

Oh, look! If it isn't one of my favorite games ever. And it's more than double the time spent in the previous game on the list? No surprise there. The plot is more a bit more complex than one might assume, so let me try to summarize briefly . . . Espella Cantabella is in trouble. On the run from witches, she turns to the two titular characters for help. In doing so, Layton and his apprentice, Luke, as well as Phoenix and his assistant, Maya, end up being transported into a medieval world via a magical book. The town of Labyrinthia has no place for logic and truth, and the people would instead plunge any witch into the hellfire. Layton and Wright must work together to uncover the darkest secrets of the town, but things are never what they seem . . .

How Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright works in terms of gameplay is pretty straightforward. It's divided into two sections: Layton's investigation and puzzle-solving segments, and Phoenix's court trials. That doesn't mean, however, that Phoenix can't help out with puzzles, or that Layton can't lend a hand in court. The two different game styles are meshed together quite well here. There are some new elements added as well, such as multiple witnesses testifying all at once in court. It definitely makes the trials even more interesting.

Why do I love this game? It introduced me to both the Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney series, which I'm very thankful for. The plot was absolutely incredible, keeping me wanting to come back on a very frequent basis. There are some great twists, one of which I accidentally spoiled for myself. (I hate it when that happens.) The characters were all unique and interesting in their own right. The themes really resonated with me and still give me food for thought to this day. Did I mention that the music is freaking epic? BECAUSE IT IS. Actually, scratch that: the whole game is freaking epic. Can't recommend it enough. If you want a full review, I posted one here.

It's time for the top game of 2019, and it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone! Clocking in more than double the time spent playing Layton vs. Wright, it's . . .

#1: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (74:19)


source

If this is shocking to you, you probably didn't know me all that well since June of 2019. I have become obsessed with the Ace Attorney series, and I made it my goal to finish the original trilogy last year. Some might argue that it's not fair, since it's technically composed of the first three games--Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All, and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations--therefore averaging about 25 hours per game and being less than the previous one on the list. However, I'll still keep things as they are, especially since I don't know the exact time I spent on each game in the trilogy.

Obviously, because of the nature of the collection, it's hard to talk plot, but let me see if I can try . . . Phoenix Wright is new to the court scene. His first trial goes well, thanks to his chief and mentor, Mia Fey. But when he finds her brutally murdered, his world changes. Now he ventures forth with her sister, Maya, who's a spirit medium and can channel the spirits of the dead. They must take on new cases and help more innocent defendants as they face off against rivals both old and new. From a former classmate to a literal whippersnapper to a masked coffee addict, the prosecutors won't let Nick and Maya win easily. As cases become more and more complex, will Phoenix be able to prove that he is indeed an ace attorney?

Totaling fourteen cases, most of which are murder-related, the collection will have you meeting all sorts of crazy and colorful characters. The first game helps you get on your feet, and the following two titles have a tutorial case at the beginning, but don't expect things to be easy for you. By the time you reach the end of each game (especially Trials and Tribulations), you just might be scratching your head when the time comes to present the right evidence. But the satisfaction of getting the right answer is so worth it.

Most cases are divided up into several trial and investigation periods. You search the crime scene, the surrounding area, and related locations for clues while talking to people to get more answers. Then you'll stand in court and cross-examine witnesses and their testimonies, pointing out the contradictions. Honestly, it's a fairly simple formula, but it works really well.

Why do I love this collection? Because it exists and it is wonderful and everyone should play it. Seriously, the plots are addictive, there are plenty of twists and turns, the characters are either really lovable or really hateable (well, there are a few in between, but you know what I mean), the music is nothing short of stupendous, there's some good challenge involved . . . What more can I say? I guess you'll find out when I write a review of the trilogy. (Edit: future me has added the link to this review. You're welcome.)

There you have it! Those were my top ten 3DS games of 2019! Have you played any of these? Do you want to? If you're looking for recommendations or want to give some, I'm here for either one!

1 comment:

  1. All of these sound soooooo fun!!! (You're seriously putting me in the mood for some Kirby games!) Shamefully I haven't played ANY of these. I just hardly ever make time for video games anymore. *sobs* I've literally been trying to beat Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance for a YEAR now. Playing like half an hour every few months does not for much progress make. XD I really do miss gaming though. I'm hoping to slot out some more time for it this year. I agree, it's so relaxing and a great de-stresser!

    Thanks for sharing your top ones with us!

    ReplyDelete