Friday, March 01, 2019

Monthly HapPENings: February

Okay, I need someone to explain to me how it's possible that a sixth of the year has already passed us by. Seriously, what the heck?! I'm demanding a refund on my time.


On the life side of things . . . nothing terribly interesting. I worked and did stuff at home. Not much else to it. I know you guys are probably getting bored of me saying month after month that nothing spectacular happened, but it's true! (Unless I'm just missing out on the small miracles and moments that I could share . . .)

The one out-of-the-ordinary thing I did is go to my friend's social. And while I'm glad I was able to support him, I was also bored. I had virtually no one to talk to since he was running around talking to as many people as he could, and those that I did kinda know/am acquainted with were all in their cliques. Frankly, it's hard to be social when you have a DJ who's playing their music far louder than necessary. So no, I don't want to have a social when I get married.

Bookish HapPENings


source

This was only the second time that I've read this book, yet I was quite surprised at how much I actually remembered from it as I read. Just goes to show that it stuck out to me when I first picked it up, and it still does. Honestly, A World Without Heroes is probably one of the most unique and creative fantasies I've ever read. If you haven't yet, you absolutely must. It's got a rich, vibrant world with interesting characters (from major to minor) and some incredible twists. Honestly, this would most likely go on my list of favorite books of all time, if I ever chose to make one.

source

The books in The Keys to the Kingdom series have been fast reads for me in the past, and this one was no exception. The plot kept me on my toes, and I loved all the weirdness of Nix's world, factors that have remained consistent throughout the entirety of the series as well. And that ending! It was so unexpected and surprisingly bittersweet. I actually felt emotional about seeing these characters off, something I hadn't ever expected, or even thought of, when I began reading the books. I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking for another unique series.

source

This was my third time reading Leviathan. After I read it the first time, I waited for the next books to come out. When I reread it, I had every intention of asking the library to get the sequel, since it had released already. I totally forgot about it, but now my library has the whole trilogy, which is why I read it again. It was just as enjoyable as I remembered! Again, I surprised myself with all that I remembered whilst reading it. My biggest complaint about the book would be a couple of comments that were made regarding one of the main characters. Deryn, the female lead, wants to join the air service, but to do that, she must disguise herself as a male. Thus, a few comments are made throughout about the small size of her "diddies," as they're referred to in the book. Aside from that, this was a great story with amazing illustrations! I can't get enough steampunk, and I really must keep reading this series.

source

Another fast read, due to these Deltora books being fairly skinny. They're fun little adventures, but nothing too incredible or mind-blowing, with a POV that doesn't always feel very personal. This one was no exception, though I still liked it enough. Plus, it increased my book count for February, so yay!

HapPENings on the Screen


source

When I went to the theater to watch this with my sisters, I wasn't really sure what to expect, aside from my belief that it would be a solid, hilarious movie with another deep message, like the previous three LEGO films. Oh my gosh, was I blown away! The jokes were even funnier, the plot incredibly intriguing with unexpected twists and turns, the songs catchy and likely to get stuck inside your head, and yet another great theme. Honestly, I would say that The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part and The LEGO Ninjago Movie are the best films in the franchise thus far.


S2 of The Flash is proving itself once again to be better than S1. I haven't watched much of it, but I'm remembering more and more of it as I go along. There are definitely some moments that I can't wait to see again! I need to watch this soon . . . It feels like it's been a while since I last did.


The last episode I watched in Avatar was great! I'm glad it had a bit more of a focus on Sokka, because he's one of my favorite, if not my favorite, character in the show. It was also more plot-oriented, or at least it felt that way. I'm still not sure where this all gonna go, but I guess I'll have to wait and find out!

source

This is my first time watching S7 of Ninjago, otherwise known as Hands of Time, and it's impressing me so far! The animation is a step above what I've seen in the previous seasons, the humor is spot-on, the villains are both interesting and dangerous, and I have no idea how the Ninja are going to save the day this time. Can't wait to see how it all goes down!

Gaming HapPENings


source

So I may have played 15+ hours of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright this month, which is half of the time I've spent on it this year. I'm almost finished playing it, and gosh, is it an amazing game! I really don't want to talk too much about it here, since I'll probably write a review for it next week. I will just say that I do believe it is one of my favorite games of all time. Seriously, I loved every moment of it.

source

One of the greatest aspects of Breath of the Wild is simply exploring and seeing what you find. It might be that Guardian you never knew was located in the snowy region, the Talus monsters you hadn't encountered yet that were super easy to beat, the giant horse in a section of Hyrule you didn't even know existed, the lake named after the one from Skyward Sword, and so on. I've had a lot of fun playing this game for the last year, and I somehow feel like completion is a long way off.

Writerly HapPENings

I wrote 2,289 words in Shattered, which isn't a lot. But I suppose a little bit of something is better than nothing at all. I'm still trying to write on a more regular basis, and I must confess, it hasn't been the easiest thing for me. Here's to hoping March goes better in that regard!

That was my month! Anything you'd like to share about your February? Got any goals for March? (I know I do.)

8 comments:

  1. First of all, as regards life, sometimes the small things are the best things - small and spectacular aren't mutually exclusive, I've discovered. :)

    And, nicely done with the reading! I've been meaning to pick up "Leviathan," and now I think I'll have to. Thanks for mentioning it and reminding me. :)

    As for my February... it wasn't the best month, but it wasn't the worst. I have one goal for March, and that's to live through it lol

    This post made me smile - I've missed reading your wrap-ups. Hope your March goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis very true. I should try to become more aware of the small things are happening from day to day and appreciate them. ^_^

      Thank you! I wasn't expecting to read four books this month, but it was a nice surprise. Yeah, it's definitely a great, fun read. You're welcome!

      Well, hopefully March will go better than expected. Mediocrity isn't something that's fun to live with.

      Haha, thank you! Usually these posts are the ones that are ignored, so I'm glad people still enjoy them. Thanks, and same to you!

      Delete
  2. My February wasn't that bad. I'm just waiting for spring to come! - June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, same here! I'm getting quite tired of the cold and the snow, so warm weather can come any day now. :D

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read some Brandon Mull for AGES, namely his Fablehaven series. But this one sounds awesome too! I definitely need to keep an eye out for his books. Garth Nix, too, is a author I've always wanted to try. The Keys to the Kingdom series sounds so fun! And oh my goodness, LEVIATHAN. I read that book years ago and LOVED it. It was probably one of my first forays into steampunk. It's just so deliciously steampunkish. But I, too, have yet to read the whole trilogy. One day I'm totally going to get the next two and read them all together. IT'S GONNA HAPPEN.

    Oooh, so The LEGO 2 movie was good? I've seen a few mix reviews, so I was worried. Can't wait to see it myself! Though I'm not sure I'll get a chance to in theaters... May have to wait a bit. Haha.

    Sounds like I really, really need to play Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright one day. I love the Professor Layton games (well, technically I've only ever played through the first one and part of the second, but still!). So yeah, I need to give this one a shot!

    And Breath of the Wild. UGH YES. I never got tired of that game. Ever. I could happily explore the world foreverrr. I've already beaten it and done like ALL the side quests but I've had a hankering to pick it up and just mill around the world for a while. It's unhealthily addicting GAH.

    Congrats on getting some words in! :D And 2k is good progress! So happy to see you writing again. I hope it's going well! ^_^

    And I hope your March is an awesome one! Though, like Brianna said, sometimes the small moments turn out to be the most beautiful. Something I have to remind myself a lot... Heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably be reading Fablehaven after I'm finished the Beyonders trilogy, so I'll let ya know how it is. XD But yes, read the Beyonders books! They're quite fantastic. Yeah, TKttK is another great series that you should read. I almost picked up Behemoth when I was at the library yesterday, but I'll wait a little bit before I read it. Let me know what you think of the trilogy when you're finished so we can compare notes!

      It was better than good. It was GREAT! I'm really not sure why it's getting mixed reviews, because I thoroughly enjoyed it in every way. Whenever you get the chance, go watch it.

      Gah, it's such a phenomenal game! It has gotten a lot of hate and mixed reviews from people, especially concerning the ending, but I disagree. You'll get my full thoughts soon!

      YOU'RE COMPLETELY DONE?! Oh my goodness, Christine . . . That's insane. I feel like it's gonna be a long time before I'm finished. Have you even done all the DLC stuff?

      Thank you! Well, I wouldn't call it "good" progress, but at least it's progress. So far, so good. ;)

      Thanks, and same to you! Me too, so let's both keep an eye out this month for the little moments. ^_^

      Delete
  4. Oh, too bad on the social ;/ Those can be tough when cliques are formed ... I like to bust cliques hahaha! February has had way too much snow and work stress what with vehicles breaking down and houses being canceled/ rescheduled left and right. But overall it isn't too bad.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was unfortunate . . . I just feel awkward trying to enter those friend groups. At least you can do it! XD That's too bad. I hope March is a much better month for ya. :)

      Delete