Monday, March 18, 2019

The Music Monday 2018 Awards - Results Announcement

Welcome, one and all, to a most momentous occasion! We have reached the finale of the second annual Music Monday Awards!


You all did your part and voted for the song that will forever go down in history as the Music Monday of 2018. Things got intense as people chose between the four finalists. Do recall that they were:

"The Tale of Tormak" from LEGO Legends of Chima

"Overworld Adventure" from The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

"Say" by Gabriel Brown

"Undertale" from Undertale

We had eight votes for round 3, which was about our average for this year. (Here's to hoping that next year's Awards will be more popular!) It's time to give you all the numbers . . . Drumroll, please!

"The Tale of Tormak" and "Overworld Adventure" both tied with 1 vote each. These were both epic songs, heralding adventure and peril and all that quest stuff. It is unfortunate that they did not proceed further, but let us not downplay their achievement. The fact that a song from a LEGO show and a track from a DS game (albeit one that's part of a popular franchise) is, frankly, a little astonishing.

Coming in second place is "Say," sung by none other than Mr. Gabriel Brown himself. Considering that he won last year with his song, "So Far Away" (with Michelle Creber singing with him), it's no wonder he made it to the final round. He appears to be a fan favorite, and he deserves it.

Nay, the song that snatched the victor's crown this year is . . . the one from an indie game created largely by one man, who composed the score. It's the one that received 4 votes, and its name is . . .

original art found here; I claim no credit for it


From the moment the acoustic guitar starts to gently play, you know this is no ordinary song. It is brimming with emotion, which really kicks in when the piano joins the guitar. It's just a thing of beauty, a heartbeat worthy of bearing the game's name.

Toby managed to blend so many emotions into six minutes of music: hope, sorrow, longing, peace, joy, and a quiet determination. It's bittersweet, like the sadness you feel when you finish a really good story, but the thrill of a new adventure that you can dive into next. It tugs on my heartstrings.

In the context of the game, it's quite powerful. You're headed for the end of your journey, and instead of intense or suspenseful music that would typically play in a video game when you're nearing the final boss, this song plays. You discover King Asgore's home, which leads into the city. The streets are filled with monsters who begin to tell you their story: where they came from, where they are, and where they're going. But even though their tale is a heartbreaking one, they aren't sad. They trust their king to bring them to daylight again. At the end of it all, they ask you, "Aren't you excited?"

"Aren't you happy?"

"You're going to be free." If you time it right, you'll get these words as the last piano notes play (since the song doesn't loop), which heightens the emotion of it all.

Another powerful moment that happens when this song is playing is when you're inside Asgore's house. At the start of the game, when you're in Toriel's home, there's a mirror that you can look into. When you do, this message comes up: "It's you!" Cute, but nothing special, right? Well, fast-forward a harrowing trip through the Underground, where you met monsters and befriended them . . . or perhaps killed them. You've done and seen crazy stuff, and now you find this quaint home. You look into the mirror, and the message says: "Despite everything, it's still you." Talk about strangely inspirational.

What about a way it speaks to me personally? I remember how I used this song for my college experience playlist to represent my feelings at the end of the year. College was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my entire life, and by the time grad was approaching, classmates and teachers began to feel like a second family. I'd had so many fond memories, ones of conquered trials, strengthening of character, chatting and laughing with friends, and so much more. As the year's conclusion drew near, I was a mess of emotions. This song basically encapsulated everything I felt, and even now, thinking about it all, my gut still knots.

Indeed, the closing of one book to open another.

To finish off, let's look at a few comments that participants left regarding the song:

"'Undertale' is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. It combines two of the game's major themes and blends them perfectly. The fact that it's played by real instruments also makes it stand out. And while it's absolutely beautiful and emotional within the context of the game itself, it also means a lot to me outside of the game." -Josiah

"I like how the piano builds right to the end! I may not be a fan of the entire soundtrack, but this is a good one." -Tracey

"I'm gonna have to go with Undertale . . . [it's] just so heartfelt." -Christine

"I’m going to have vote for Undertale. Why? Well, it’s so nostalgic for me. I have so many memories when I listen to it. I first paid attention to it when I was driving in the dark with you, Josiah, and our two sisters. It was past 10:30pm and I was watching the dark world pass by me. Then Undertale started playing. As I listened, it stood out me to. It started off simple and quiet but then gains confidence and gets more beautiful.

"Then, I watched you play the Pacifist route in Undertale and there was a ton of emotion as this song played in the game. Every time I hear it now, I think of how gorgeous the game is and how thoughtful that moment in the game was." -Kaitlyn (AKA Lostfairy)

Looks like the winning song resonated with a lot of people in a lot of different ways. Thank you all for voting in this year's Awards! What'd you think of the winning song and the Awards as a whole? Have any constructive criticism for how to improve next year? My sincere congrats to Toby Fox for composing a song that really drives powerful emotions straight to the heart!

6 comments:

  1. Just figured I'd drop a link here real quick-like to a video I highly recommend if you want a closer look at the song that gets slightly more technical (in a way) than I do. I'll mention a spoiler alert, though, since it does discuss some of the first run's major plot points.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xR-xOkKP44&list=WL&index=14&t=2s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to the song again ... actually not so boring this listen around 😂 I think I was just really tired when I listened to it before.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not surprised a tiny bit! Lol. But very pleased. This amazing song absolutely deserved the win. I LOVED your thoughts on it because YES. It's so powerful, but in a deep, quiet, meaningful way. GAH. I love it so much!

    This was so, so fun! (Even if choosing songs for each round was almost IMPOSSIBLE. *collapses*) Can't wait for next year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Joe... your description of the song was amazing. I will definitely have to listen to Undertale again :) Congratulations to the People's Choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Undertale! I love how much emotion and memory a single piece of music can carry. It's a universal language. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to the winning song. *rage quits*

    :P

    There were so many good songs this year! :D

    ReplyDelete