Monday, December 28, 2020

Time for the Yearly Sendoff! /// Music Monday #92

It feels insanely weird that I'm already writing up the last Music Monday post of 2020. That means a week from now, the next Music Monday Awards begin. I thought I was just doing the last one, and now all of a sudden, I'm going to be writing them again??? Crazy.


Our sendoff for the year is none other than . . .

"Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai" from the album Couleur
Performed by Yoko Hikasa


The first ending theme of Attack on Titan (used in the first half of S1), the title translates to, "Beautiful Cruel World." Random fact for anyone interested, sekai is the Japanese word for world. It's pronounced say-kai (or ki with a long i sound, if that helps). Anyway, I figured a title like that would be appropriate for a final song for 2020.

There's so much I love about this song. First off, it might still be my favorite ending theme for AoT. Then there's her voice; it's somehow super beautiful and gentle, yet really powerful at the same time. She's talented, for sure. She also happens to a voice actress, by the way! She even plays a minor-but-still-important role in AoT. There's also the instrumentation. I can't tell what all was used--I hear piano, standard drumkit, electric, strings of some sort, and some kind of brass--but the way it all flows together is the perfect combination of orchestral and more "modern" sounding music. Then add her voice on top of that, and it becomes heavenly.

As for the lyrics, I've taken the liberty of finding and sharing them with you:

Your dream is where your heart is
It’s something more fragile than life itself
No matter how many times you throw it away, you still find it
So rest in peace now

Your wish is violated by your pulsing urge
and as much as you forget about it, you recall it again

In this beautiful and cruel world
We only ask “why” we’re still alive…
Ah, what are we going to protect
with our strength and weakness? If reason
no longer exists

That sky looks sad
Ashes and mirages rise up
You freeze in warm words
So rest in secret now

Your grief is hidden by fantasies sticking to you
and as much as it tears apart, it joins back together again

In this beautiful and cruel world
We only beg for death to “wait”…
Ah, we’re flightless weathercocks
We don’t know if the truth
is more beautiful than lies or not

If we are songs
Then we’ll raise the flags to that wind
and just send hope to someone
without hesitation, if only…

In this beautiful and cruel world
We only ask “why” we’re still alive…
Ah, what are we going to protect
with our strength and weakness? If reason
no longer exists

They're very interesting lyrics, ones that somehow manage to make the song even better once you know them. But the first main chorus, used again at the end of the song, are what stick out most to me.

Let's be honest: life often gives us plenty enough reasons to consider the world cruel, but 2020 has multiplied that. Yet even when our world is like this, I for one can still find more reasons to consider it beautiful. And I think that once you discover the "why" of your life, that is truly when things begin to look beautiful. This truly might seem like an era where reason is non-existent, but my "whys" for living are not attached to something arguable like reason. My "whys" are attached to strong, pure emotions, like my love for my wonderful family and my dearest friends; they're attached to the passions of my heart, my dreams for my life and my future; and they're attached to my faith, my earnest desire to pursue Christ and become more like Him.

When you understand why you live, you understand what you will protect with all of your strengths and despite all of your weaknesses. There is always a "why" for every life. Never forget that, even if you haven't found yours yet. Never forget that there is always beauty to be found around you, even if everything feels terribly cruel.

And never forget that you are loved, treasured, valued, precious, destined for great exploits, made for fantastic adventures . . . and never alone. That is why you should live.

What did you think of the song and its lyrics? Do you know your "why?" Let Misaka's words from Attack on Titan be a reminder for you: "This world is cruel, but it's also beautiful." You get to choose which aspect you focus on.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, this is my favorite AoT ending!!! It's simply BEAUTIFUL, and those lyrics only make it better. :D

    And I love what you said about finding the "whys". Especially this year, we keep focusing on the bad, but we can change our focus to the good and hopeful! That Mikasa quote is beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of my favorites too! There's just something about it that makes it absolutely amazing. I couldn't agree more, on both accounts. ^_^

      Thank you! I'm glad that struck a chord with you too. It's been too easy to focus on everything negative and wrong with 2020, but it's so much better if we keep our eyes on the positive stuff. It really is! One of my favorite AoT quotes. <3

      Delete
  2. Aaaahhhh this was GORGEOUS. Her voice, the song, the music video, the lyrics, ERRRYYYTHING! I adored this! What an absolutely perfect song to end 2020 with! (Although I can't believe this IS the last song for 2020. Where does time GO???)

    "There is always a "why" for every life." <--Now that is a powerful sentence right there! And I couldn't agree more!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Josiah! Not just this song but ALL of them! I so enjoy hearing all the amazing songs you share. Happy (almost) New Year! Praying it'll be a much better one. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it??? If someone were to ask me to find a perfect song, this would be one of the first to come to mind, honestly. I'm really happy that you enjoyed it so much, too! I thought it was a pretty fitting conclusion. (I couldn't tell ya. The older I get, the less time and its passage make sense to me.)

      Thank you! I hadn't realized it would resound with others as much as it did. But there's a certain comfort in knowing that every single life as a reason, a purpose--a "why."

      You're very welcome! And thank you for faithfully listening to and commenting on each one. It's very appreciated. I'm glad that I could provide some enjoyable tunes this year. Thanks, same to you! Here's to a far better New Year. ^_^

      Delete