Thursday, December 24, 2020

Still the Prince of Peace

Wow, I'm posting a day early? What kind of sorcery has bewitched me??? Well, I like to call it the sorcery of being prompt! (Not really, but it's for the sake of the joke, okay?) After all, no one's really going to be checking my blog on Christmas Day--or at least, you shouldn't. Either way, this one is going to probably be a bit shorter, 'cuz festivities, y'know.

source

You may recall that back in Christmas of 2017, which was indeed ages ago even though it's only been three years, I made a post simply titled, "The Prince of Peace." I have definitely improved in my writing skills since then, but even so, the message is good. Which is why I felt it was a good topic to bring up again this year.

In that post, I talked about the Hebrew word for peace, which is shalom. Shalom is a Jewish greeting that sounds like you're blessing the other person, for shalom is far more than just peace. It's a perfect wholeness that covers everything from your health in all areas to prosperity, both spiritual and physical, and many other things. And Jesus is the Prince of that good shalom peace.

Isaiah 9:6 in the Voice translation reads, "Hope of all hopes, dream of our dreams, a child is born, sweet-breathed; a son is given to us: a living gift. And even now, with tiny features and dewy hair, He is great. The power of leadership, and the weight of authority, will rest on His shoulders. His name? His name we’ll know in many ways—He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Dear Father everlasting, ever-present never-failing, Master of Wholeness, Prince of Peace." This is such an awe-inspiring, breathtaking image of Jesus. He is great from birth to death, from resurrection to ascension, now and forever. I love the titles Master of Wholeness and Prince of Peace. It lets you know exactly what He is, and how in Him, there is no lack.

For a lot of people, this year has been nothing but anxiety and stress for them--in other words, a year of fear. But that is not what Jesus desires for us. He says in John 10:10 (The Message), "A thief is only there to kill and steal and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of." 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) adds, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (And please, don't take this as me bashing you if you've felt anxious or worried this year. Both Jesus and I understand that we're only human, and we don't judge you for that. Just know that He wants things to be better for you.)

During any difficult situation or circumstance, Jesus is still the Prince of Peace. As I mentioned in my old post, this title for Him seems to be used only during Christmas . . . but why? His peace is for you every day of your entire life. With how much life has changed in 2020, some might be tempted to think that everything is bound to change. But that's simply not true. Hebrews 13:8 (NLT) confirms this: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." Jesus is the one thing in your life that's guaranteed to never, ever change. I know I needed His unchanging, steadfast anchor in my life this year, and He knew that too. That's why the Bible says what it does, to remind us of how faithful He is, how He's always with us and will never leave.

So you can trust Him when He says that He is the Master of Wholeness and the Prince of Peace. As the last week of the year unfolds, I encourage you to take the time to meditate and reflect on this promise. Christmas seems to be a good time to do this, as it serves as a reminder of why Jesus was born in this broken world: to offer a beautiful exchange, in which He would bear all of our mistakes, our struggles, our fears and give us all of the benefits of being a child of God.

As cheesy as it may sound, that is honestly the most wonderful gift we will ever receive. I'm eternally grateful for what Jesus has done for me.

Merry Christmas to you! May you be filled with the perfect shalom that Jesus offers, and may this season be one of joy, love, and laughter.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Josiah - this was a fantastic message, especially for this year. Merry Christmas! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Nicole: Beautiful post! And, honestly, this basically encompasses my whole year! I always like to choose a word for the year to live by, and this year I felt an urging to choose "Peace". And wow, back when I chose that I had absolutely no idea just how much I'd have to practice seeking God's peace for the entire year. But, as hard as this year has been, it has honestly just shown me how faithful and loving and comforting our God is. It's been a WILD and hard year, but also one of growth. God has shown me so much, and that really is priceless.

    Thank you so much for sharing these poignant, needed words! I do hope you and your family have a very merry Christmas!!! :D

    ReplyDelete