Friday, November 06, 2020

Monthly HapPENings: October

Man, is 2020 actually almost over? Where in the world has this year gone?


Once again, not much in the way of fun life stuff happened in October. I did participate in Inktober this year--more specifically, Shadow Linktober. That means I drew a bunch of Zelda enemies and antagonists. It was a lot of fun, for the most part! I'm definitely thinking I'll participate again next year, and I wanna do more drawing between now and then. I'll probably share some of my art from Linktober on here in the future, but until then, you can check them out on my Instagram if you haven't!

Also, my youngest two sisters and I went out to the nearby city to do some Christmas shopping one Thursday after I was done work. It was super productive, and we had some delicious kimchi (I chose the shrimp variant)--now I'm craving kimchi again. But yeah, I'm nearly done buying all my Christmas presents for friends and family, which I'm pretty happy about. I was on top of things this year, lemme tell ya!

Bookish HapPENings

Surprise, surprise . . . no books finished again. This is honestly becoming a bad habit at this point. It's not that I don't want to read, it's just that I don't really think of it or make time for it with everything else that I wanna do. I gotta change that this month!

HapPENings on the Screen


AAAHHH OH MY GOSH I AM DONE WITH AVATAR! What an ending to the show! It was amazing and different from what I expected and AHHH. I'm so, so glad that I managed to avoid most spoilers. I loved the show and the characters so much, I just wanna watch it all over again. I already miss them and their crazy antics and adventures. I'm so going to buy all three seasons for myself, because I neeeed them in my life. One of my all time favorites, for sure. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW THAT IT'S ALL OVER???


I finished Ergo Proxy just recently, and wow. Like Avatar, that ending was different what I'd expected. The show took so many twists and turns there at the end. And the themes, man. They gave me so much to think about and chew on. I'm still processing them and how things went down . . . When I started the show, I didn't think I'd end up enjoying it as much as I did. It's not perfect, by any means, but it's still really, really good. There were more characters I didn't want to say goodbye. If you ever watch this show, let me know so we can chat and theorize about it!


YO! The third season of My Hero Academia is so dang instense! Like, seriously, they're not holding anything back with this season. It has had my emotions wrapped around its finger. And then there was that fight I just saw and how it ended, and I can't stop thinking about it. What's going to happen to some of the characters?! This definitely feels like a big turning point in the show . . . and I love it. But it's also got me really worried about how things are going to play out now.


On a much lighter note, I've been watching Attack on Titan: Junior High recently, and it's just . . . nothing short of perfect. The way they take scenes and lines from the main show that are super serious or deep or emotional or whatever, and make it comical within the context of this parody show, is so brilliant. Or they'll take a character and overexaggerate certain traits for the sake of comedy, and it just works so well! You honestly can't hate anyone in this show. If you've seen Attack on Titan, you can't not watch this as well. It'll have you in stitches.

Gaming HapPENings

source

I've been playing a lot of Ace Attorney Investigations lately, and it's so, so good! I love it for a number of different reasons. One, it has a different style from the other games in the series. Rather than searching crime scenes and talking to people for clues before hitting up the courtroom, you don't do any trials--at least, not in the traditional sense. Yes, Miles still investigates crimes, but it's from a top-down perspective, which does a lot to make it feel different. He has to use to logic to piece together clues and figure out what happened, deducing different things by using the evidence he's found. There are arguments in which you check statements and present evidence, but it still feels different from the normal games. Two, you get to play as Miles Edgeworth, one of the best characters in any game ever. I mean, just look at him on the game cover! Three, the storytelling and music are just as fantastic as they've always been, making this title feel right at home among the others. I really need to finish it and see how things go down!

source

I've been a lot more New Horizons these last few weeks, because I'm finally getting somewhere with my island. Like, it's a proper town now with hourly music and everything! I still have lots to do to make it look more civilized and less like a mostly deserted island. I'm so happy with my villagers, though. They're so cute and friendly and I love them all. The Halloween event I participated in was super fun as well. Shari kept doing the scare reaction and looked absolutely adorable doing it! I also liked how some of the villagers asked for candy, while a couple of others stayed at home and gave me some. I just love this game--and the whole Animal Crossing series--so much. It's so wholesome and relaxing, and I need it in my life.

Writerly HapPENings

No writing was done this month--again. It's something I've also been meaning to change, much like the reading thing, but I haven't made the time or brain space for it. That needs to be different too, for sure by the end of the year! I will not allow 2020 to be a total failure in that regard.

That was my October! How was yours? Are you just as shocked as I am that the year is almost over? What have you done/watched/played recently?

1 comment:

  1. YOU FINISHED ATLA AND YOU LOVED IT YAAAAAAY!!!!!!! I just knew you would enjoy it. It FEELS like a Josiah show! It's seriously one of my favorite shows of all time too and I'm just so happy you finally got to see it!

    As far as what you're supposed to do now...watch the sequel series The Legend of Korra of course! *grins* Although it's not NEARLY as good as ATLA (because, really, what is?), it's still a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete