Monday, November 02, 2020

A Final Spoopy Song /// Music Monday #88

 Welp, this one's a little late because I kind of forgot about it on the weekend. Whoops.


Our song for today is none other than . . .

"Shifty Boo Mansion" from Super Mario 3D World
Composed by Mahito Yokota, Toru Minegishi, Yasuaki Iwata, and Koji Kondo


I can't believe that in all my years of doing Music Monday on the blog, never once for around October have I shared a spoopy Mario song. The series has some really good ones for all of the ghosty levels and games. I heard this particular track the other day and decided to share it.

The overall tone sets a really good atmosphere. It's got the spooky synths (at least, I think it's electronically produced; correct me if I'm wrong), but that violin does so much for the music. It basically carries the whole song. People in the comments have said it sounds beautiful, sad, relaxing, and solemn, and I have to agree. It's definitely all of the above. I feel like not a lot of Mario music utilizes violins like this, so when it does, it stands out.

Honestly, Super Mario 3D World is one of the best Mario games to date, in my opinion. It's got a fantastic score that happens to be one of my favorites in the series, right up there with the Galaxy and the Mario & Luigi games. It's got some terrific level design with a nice variety in themes and styles. The bosses are fun to take on, and Bowser's battles were a particular highlight for me. And c'mon, who doesn't love the new cat powerup? So cute and fuzzy! Also, the game can be extremely difficult . . . My youngest sister and I have died so many times in the last worlds. Though to be fair, I find it more of a fun challenging than the rage-inducing kind.

I'll definitely be picking up the Switch version when it releases next year. (Man, before you know it, the entire Wii U library is going to wind up coming to the Switch!) I'm really curious about the expansion, Bowser's Fury . . . have you seen the trailer for it? We haven't seen much yet, but I love ruins, so I'm already hooked by all the cat-themed pillars and structures they showed. Hopefully we'll find out more sooner rather than later!

So that's the end of the spoopy songs! What'd you think of this one? How does it compare to other ghost-themed tracks you've heard from the Mario series? Do you play Super Mario 3D World, and will you pick up the Switch version?

1 comment:

  1. Ah yessss! This game is a BLAST. And so chaotic and hard, indeed. XD But a blast nonetheless. Now you're making me want to play it again! My siblings and I played it a good while back and had a great time, though I can't remember if we ever beat it??? So clearly it's time for a replay! And I agree that the music is GREAT! This was a PERFECT way to close the spoopy songs! Such a good one. :D

    ReplyDelete