Monday, May 18, 2020

Beauty in Quiet /// Music Monday #76

I feel like the Music Monday surprise me more and more lately. I'll suddenly be like, "Wait, is that time again?" Sure enough, it is.


The song I chose for today is none other than . . .

"Main Theme" from Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Composed by Gareth Coker


In case you didn't know, yes, Ori and the Blind Forest got a sequel that launched about two months ago. And yes, it looks and sounds just as gorgeous as the first--if not more so.

I can't really talk about the plot of the game itself, as part of its setup spoils some ending stuff from The Blind Forest. But what I've heard a few times is that this game is basically The Blind Forest meets Hollow Knight. In other words, intense and precise platforming meets difficult boss battling. A pretty perfect combination, if you ask me.

But let's talk a bit about the music. The soundtrack is double the length of the original game's OST, and it adds some more variety to the styles of music within. Yet, we know the instant we hear this theme that it's still the same world. There is consistency in its leitmotifs. If you've listened to the soundtrack for The Blind Forest enough, you'll pick up that The Will of the Wisps reuses Ori's theme, as evidenced in this song. It's such a memorable theme to me, one that's always stuck in both soundtracks.

Gareth Coker is the master of many things. He can create ambient tunes, peaceful harmonies, emotional melodies that tears at your heartstrings, and intense pieces fit for fighting large and imposing bosses. All of this is evidenced in the OST for The Will of the Wisps. I might've provided you with two minutes of its three-hour long score, but you should dive in for yourself. Once you do, come back and let me know what you thought, and if you think it's better, worse, or just as good as the previous title's soundtrack.

That's all for today! Did you know about this game's release? Have you played either Ori game yet? (I just started the first game this past weekend!)

2 comments:

  1. AN ORI SONG. YESSSS!!!! I've been listening to Ori music ever since you first introduced it to me back when you were doing BT's soundtrack! :D It's just SO beautiful and whimsical. Such perfect music for writing fantasy stories to!

    I really want to play these games one day. They look spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd enjoy this one! Aww, man--I'm glad I was able to introduce you to some great new music. It's so satisfying when I can show people stuff they haven't heard before. Both games have such perfect soundtracks, honestly!

      The first game is so pretty! I'm absolutely loving it.

      Delete