Friday, May 15, 2020

An Update Long-Overdue (Albeit a Short One)

Hey . . . it's been a while since I did one of these. But I owed it to you to let you know what's going on.

photo credit: me

Do recall that last year I made a post about how I was getting burnt out on blogging. And in a way, it did happen. Just maybe not the way I expected. As it turns out, I became very unmotivated in a lot of areas of life thanks to stuff happening. I'm not gonna go into all the details, because I'd bog down the post and whatnot.

As you can see, my blog has suffered from it. You're basically getting just Music Monday and Monthly HapPENings posts. Sure, January had a couple of video game posts, but that's it. I used to be so much more creative with what I've shared, but 2020--heck, even 2019--hasn't been the greatest in terms of my blogging.

I want to do better. I want to give you more content at a regular basis. At the same time, I don't want to push myself so much that I end up wiping out again, though it could be worse the second time around. I've actually been meaning to adjust my blogging schedule for a while now. Instead of trying for a new post every Friday, I'd like to do higher-quality, non-rushed posts. That means not every single Friday will see a new post, but it does mean the ones that come out whenever will be more interesting and/or entertaining. Well, that's the idea, anyway.

To start off this new schedule, I'd really to get some participation from you. I mean, I obviously want this all the time, not just now. But the kind of participation I'm talking about has to do with choosing the topic of the new posts. Considering this weird situation the world has found itself in, I'm striving to put out some content that I'm very confident you'll enjoy. To do that, I need to hear what you want.

There are plenty of options. I could bring back a series, like Video Game Life Lessons or The Quote Quota. I've thought about doing another Humble Beginnings series, only this one would be entirely in vlog form. I could do something inspirational, a review of some kind, a post of writing lessons from a certain show, something game- or music-related. Or I could attempt something entirely new! Like I've been meaning to try my hand at doing a let's play of one of my games, but it would be exclusively for my blog. I also have a couple of videos I made with one of my best friends a couple years that I never got around to editing and sharing here.

Please, help me decide! I really do want your input in moving forward. This blog should be yours as much as it is mine, where we both can get enjoyment and satisfaction out of it. I'll be posting polls on my social media as well, in an attempt to get a feel for what people want.

Also, while we're on the subject . . . what should I do for my blogoversary next month???

I know this post is a bit shorter than my usual sit-down-and-chat posts, but I felt this was important to get out there. Thanks for reading, take care, and drop your suggestions in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. There is no, no shame in having to step back from blogging and other such things sometimes! Our mental health is NEVER worth sacrificing just for a constant presence on social media (<-- Preaching to myself). Whenever you feel burnt out it is OKAY if you need to break from things for a while. All us readers will still be here when you come back! ^_^

    I think a schedule of not every single Friday sounds like an awesome compromise, and I'm excited about all these posts you've been thinking about. Honestly, I don't even know WHAT I'd want more. I really like your review posts (for books, video games, and movies alike!) and the Quote Quota ones are always a blast. And I do miss the Humble Beginnings ones! Oh man, those were a riot! Having them in video form would be super entertaining! :D So...basically I enjoy it all??? Which I know isn't super helpful, but it's TRUE. You always put so much fun content out there!

    And ooooh, your blogiversary is coming up! HMMMM. Q&A's are always fun or maybe like a list of your top favorite things in different genres (top favorite book, favorite music, favorite video games, etc.) I always like seeing things like that. Just some suggestions!

    Anyways, I feel like I'm just blabbling and not being helpful whatsoever, but I really do enjoy all your posts and will be happy with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. I really appreciate you understanding. It's been hard to balance my mental health with blogging (and honestly a lot of other things in life), but I hope to find a good balance. It also feels like I've lost a lot of readers due to me posting so sporadically for the last year or so. I dunno.

      I'm glad you like the ideas! It's good to know that the reviews are appreciated, as I feel like I often put a fair amount of time and thought into them. Yes, it's been a long time since I've done a Quote Quota post! I need to find an editing program to make videos, but if I do, I'd love to do more Humble Beginnings posts/videos. Thank you! It means a lot that you say that. ^_^ <3

      I really like the idea of sharing some of my favorite things! That'd be a lot of fun to do. Thank you for the suggestions!

      I don't mind babbling. XD Thanks again for the ideas, and for your constant support!

      Delete
  2. Post whatever you please, I say, and I'll look forward to seeing what you cook up.
    But I WOULD like to see some more Quote Quota. Like Oskar N. Reteep from the Wingfeather Saga, I love a good quote.
    For a blogversary topic, I suggest a post on some of the stories that influenced you the most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blue! I hope I can come up with something both very entertaining and enjoyable. :D

      I think another Quote Quote post is quite overdue. I should do one of those again soon.

      That's a good idea! I'll have to think on what I want to do. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
  3. Post what you want to post and don't worry about us. We'll come and go not according to what you post but according to what's happening in our own lives. I do love your music posts, I just haven't had so much time lately to listen to music. Sad, I know.


    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehh . . . I feel like it's honestly a mix of both things. It's not just about what's going on in people's lives, but also about what I post and the quality of the posts. Oh, wow! That's crazy. I can't imagine not having the time to listen to music.

      Delete