Monday, February 10, 2020

It's Time for Love /// Music Monday #69

Well, well, well . . . it's time for another Music Monday post!


And because Valentine's Day is this week, I figured we should do a love song for today. It's a very different one, though. It is . . .

"Cherish" from the Hey Mama! album
Composed by EXO-CBX


So yeah, my youngest two sisters listen to a lot of K-pop. As it turns out, some of the songs I really enjoy, such as this one. I dunno what exactly makes this song stand out to me--the funky, upbeat melody or the smooth vocals of the three guys--but I dig it.

You may have heard of EXO, or you may have not. They're a pretty popular band, not just in South Korea, but around the world. The singers often perform in other groups, usually smaller versions of the EXO crew. CBX is one such example, as it is composed of three EXO dudes: Chen, Baekhyun, and Xiumin. (I'm probably explaining this all really terribly, so if you want better answers, ask my sisters.)

This is actually my first time seeing the full English lyrics, and I quite like them! I mean, don't get me wrong, hearing the Korean lines with a few English ones thrown in is obviously what got me hooked on the song in the first place. But it's also nice to know what those lines translate to. Some of my favorites are ones like, "My entire world is becoming dyed by you." Like honestly, isn't that kind of heartwarming and romantic? I could totally see myself saying something similar to my girlfriend one day . . . once I get one, of course.

And also the main chorus! "You shine like a miracle, you're just so beautiful/I guess I must've wandered so long/Just so I could meet you in the end/In this moment, I'm gonna cherish you." I feel like cherish isn't a word we use often anymore. The simplest definition is, "to hold dear." When I eventually start dating, I want to make sure that my girlfriend knows I don't just love her, but that I'm also gonna cherish her. After all, you only cherish what you consider truly valuable in your life, right?

Lastly, the final rendition of the main chorus says, "All my roads lead to you, the light that links us together." I think when you love someone deeply, it can change you. They can become the north to your heart's compass. Now, I'm aware of how the whole "follow your heart" message isn't always an accurate or reliable one. All I'm saying is that the most real kind of love will always draw people together again. Nothing can stand in the way of them. That's the love I want to strive for in every relationship: one that always cherishes the other person.

What did you think? Was it an appropriate choice for this week, and a good representation of K-pop? Do you agree or disagree with my interpretation of the lyrics?

3 comments:

  1. Tracey was just recently telling me about EXO and linked to one of their songs. They are a fun group! I've been meaning to check out more of their songs, so this was perfect!

    I totally agree that them using "cherish" was very refreshing. You're right, we don't use that word much, which is sad. I think it's such a powerful word.

    I heard once that female's deepest desire is to be cherished, and male's is to be respected. And, honestly, I tend to agree with that. So, again, this was a very refreshing song! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *launches self into comment section*

    I AM HERE!!!!

    DID SOMEBODY SAY EXO?!!!

    In all seriousness, this was VERY unexpected! ;__; I really appreciate this whole post. I can’t believe you went from a total non-kpop listener to posting about EXO-CBX. I really really appreciate you giving the music genre a try and giving my favorite band a mention. ❤️

    I completely agree about the lyrics. “Cherish” is a word we should use more often - it holds a lot of meaning.
    And I pray that I’ll find a dude who will cherish me. ;P I know you’ll do that for whichever lucky girl you date. ❤️

    Thanks again for this post, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful take on a beautiful song! I don't think I'd read through all the English lyrics before today. <3

    ReplyDelete