Monday, January 14, 2019

Music Monday #41

Who's ready for a new song to kick off this year? If you answered yes, then I'm your supplier--er, I'm the guy for you! I mean . . . never mind.


So what's today's beat? It is . . .

"Main Theme" from A Hat in Time
Composed by Pascal Michael Stiefel



I've actually been meaning to choose a song from A Hat in Time for a while now. The soundtrack has a great variety of styles, each fitting the world it was composed for. But one thing I've noticed Pascal is really good at is throwing in the main theme for some of the game's songs, particularly the boss battles.

As for the theme itself . . . well, I think it captures the game's essence wonderfully. It's a bold, fun adventure, lovingly crafted by a an indie team known as Gears for Breakfast. Do recall that, in my post about writing lessons from indie games, I discussed a little bit about the game's development, which I'll go over again now to refresh you.

Jonas Kaerlev, who initially worked on the game by himself before heading a team, wanted to fill the void of 3D platformers. He felt that Donkey Kong 64 had wrecked the genre and wanted to fix it, and thus made it a Kickstarter project. He aimed for $30k, but in the end raised close to $300k, an outstanding success.

However, there was one problem: the game's release date October 5, 2017 for PC. Yooka-Laylee had come out on April 11 of that year, and it hadn't received the best of reviews. Super Mario Odyssey was going to be released on October 27. It seemed that A Hat in Time would fall under the same criticisms as its predecessor and/or be overshadowed by Nintendo's surefire success.

As it turns out, neither happened. Reviews on Steam have been--and still are--overwhelmingly positive. See for yourself.


It shows how much time, effort, and love the developers put into this game. People sense that. I'd have to say that Pascal shared the same vision, because his soundtrack rocks. This track in particular brings to mind images of the Super Mario Galaxy games with its orchestral side, and the electronic elements help establish this game as its own thing. All in all, a great theme for a great game.

Sorry for talking so much about the development of the game instead of the music itself. I hope you still enjoyed the post! What'd you think of the song? Would you like me to share more from the game? (You actually don't get a choice in the matter, but we'll pretend you do.)

2 comments:

  1. This DOES have a very Mario Galaxy feel, which is a huge plus in my book. Mario Galaxy's soundtrack is amazing!

    This one was so fun, and makes me really, really want to play this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Both of the Galaxy soundtracks are absolutely phenomenal, so anything that reminds me of it will probably gain favor from me. XD

      I own the game, but I unfortunately can't play it yet, as my laptop is not powerful enough to handle it. ;-;

      Delete