Friday, October 05, 2018

Monthly HapPENings: September

Now we're three-quarters of the way through the year. Time doesn't like waiting around for us, does it?


So what did my life look like last month? (That's a lot of L words.) It was a lot of the same, with simply working and whatnot, but there were two major things that happened. First, I got a new job! I am now leaving the retail business and working at a facility that supports mentally challenged people as they do various jobs there. My first was October 1st, so you won't really hear much about that until the end of the month.

What's even cooler about it is that not only is it full-time, giving consistency and structure to my life, but it also offers some meaningful work. That is a powerful combination, so I'm very thankful to God that He gave me this amazing opportunity to bless these wonderful people and to hopefully learn from them.

The second thing that happened was that my parents celebrated their 28th anniversary! Normally, my sisters and I hunt down a new recipe and pretend to be running a restaurant, giving them a special dinner. This year, due to various factors, we just made a simple supper, and I gave them a card and a gift. But I think they still appreciated it.

Bookish HapPENings


source

I actually finished a book again. Woo-hoo! I've actually "read" this book before, and I use quotation marks because that was back in my spoileritis days. That is, I had a nasty habit of flipping through a book and speed-reading everything before I'd actually sit down to read it properly. I never got to the second part with this book, which is why I finally got around to it! While initially I compared it to Harry Potter, I changed my mind as the book played out. It differentiated itself from the HP series, and I absolutely loved it by the end, despite a few imperfections. I feel this is another book to add to the "review at some point" list, because it's not a very well-liked one. Take a look at the Goodreads reviews (gosh, I hate those more every time I venture onto that site). At the end of the day, it's certainly worth a try, and I'm curious to see how the series pans out.

HapPENings on the Screen


source

Speaking of Harry Potter, I got around to watching his second film with my sisters. I think it was already much better than the first movie. Not only did I find it funnier and more charming, but I also thought the plot was much stronger than its predecessor's. The characters were also more interesting, I felt. A good film overall, and one I'd be willing to watch again. The third installment is apparently where things start getting dark, so that should be interesting.


I finally got around to watching another episode of S4 with my sisters, and I think this particular season is getting better. (It's been a little while since I saw the episode, so bear with me if I don't remember all the details.) I still think that Hook is the best character in the show, and I still have a problem with the costume designers giving a number of the female characters low-cut outfits. It doesn't have to be part and parcel with fantasy, you know. Oh yeah, and I think the Frozen characters are becoming better at their roles than they first were.


Something I really appreciate about Ninjago is how the writers are aware of their audience getting older, something you can tell as the seasons go on. S6 is a great example of this, especially with how things are being set up. That includes the villain removing the go-to mentor characters, leaving the heroes to think entirely for themselves. It's a nice touch.


My two youngest sisters and I are getting very close to finishing S3 with our parents, and we're not far from the end in our rewatch of S1. As I often say, this show is just so perfect. I absolutely love it and the fact that each season is better than the last. I eagerly anticipate owning S4 and seeing what it's like.

Gaming HapPENings

source

Man . . . this game is a lot of things to me. First, it's weirdly nostalgic, because it brings to mind memories of playing Kirby Super Star Ultra, for some reason. Second, it's very hard. I've died more times than I can count, but when you manage to beat that tricky boss or get past the difficult section, the payoff is so worth it. Lastly, it's just an all-around really great game with some epic tunes. What's there not to love? I also appreciate how much love the character that is Shovel Knight has been getting, with him appearing in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as an assist trophy or in games like Rivals of Aether and Brawlhalla as a playable fighter. I think he's probably one of my all-time favorite game characters now.

source

And this game! It's got to be one of the best games I've picked up this year, and I've only clocked in about four hours. I already raved about it recently in a Music Monday post, but honestly, it deserves all the love it can get. If you want to play a game that combines an intriguing fantasy world, a suspenseful plot, unique characters, a mystery, court trials, and incredible music, look no further than this one! I literally grin when I play it, that's how much fun it is. You'll definitely be getting a review once I'm finished.

Writerly HapPENings

Welp, I only wrote 241 words this month. I started rewriting Darkened Slumber--due to my perfectionist editor brain not liking how the first draft of the novel was going--and then I got caught up with other things. Now, because I finished my Humble Beginnings series, I feel a strong urge to start rewriting that. Got love writer problems, am I right? If you have any suggestions on what I should do, feel free to share. I'm considering having two ongoing projects, but I haven't fully decided, as I'm more focused on adjusting to my new job.

So that was my September! I wanna hear all about yours. Are you excited that autumn is now here? Any summer regrets? Please, spill your entire experience of last month onto a comment!

5 comments:

  1. That is so exciting about your new job!!! How special you get to do that. I love that you've found such a fulfilling job. What a blessing!

    241 words is still words written, and that's what matters! I think it'd be fun if you worked on two projects at once! I think I've only ever done that once in my life--have two projects going. My mind gets so centered on one story at a time, I have a hard time switching between projects. I WISH I could juggle more than one though. It'd be nice if I got tired of one to be able to go to the other. Lol. So I say if it works for you, go for it! And it'd be really cool for you to rewrite your old story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very exciting, and pretty fun so far. My first week there was excellent. It is special, and hopefully something I won't ever take for granted. Indeed! I'm thankful that God has given me this job. :)

      I need to work on switching my mentality to be more positive when it comes to word counts. I'm definitely leaning toward that, but I might be focusing more on the Portal Chronicles at this point. You know, everyone writes differently, and I don't think having more than one project is something we should all do. We need to discover what works best for us. So yes, I think I'll be doing that. And I'm getting oh-so pumped about the old novel. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Good stuff... I hope your new job continues to go well, bro! :D

    Shovel Knight seems like an interesting game... I will consider getting it one day... *ponders Steam sales, gaming, and life*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so kindly, bro! :D I hope your month was good as well.

      It is both very interesting and a lot of fun, despite its difficulty. That is definitely a lot to ponder. Don't think too hard. :P

      Delete
  3. For some reason, when I was scrolling down to the comments, I thought I saw something about how "my wife took me shopping." What the heck?! XD

    ReplyDelete