Monday, October 08, 2018

Commence the Spooky Tunes /// Music Monday #34

OooooOOOOoooooOoooOOOoooooo . . . I'm a ghooooost . . . Boooo . . . Get ready for spooookiness!


Seeing as it's Spooktober (what some people are calling October), I think it's fitting for us to have a song that matches. Which is why today's pick is . . .

"Day of the Departed" from LEGO Ninjago
Composed by The Fold


Back in 2016, LEGO released a TV special for Ninjago. On the Day of the Departed, a holiday where people honor their fallen loved ones by raising floating lanterns, villains from the Ninja's past possess mannequins made of them for the museum and go hunt the heroes down. It was cool to get what was essentially two episodes put into one, even if the plot wasn't always the strongest. (I may not remember correctly, seeing as I've only watched it once.)

The Fold wrote three songs for the special, and this is my favorite of them. There's something about the musical style and the vocals that I just absolutely love. Some highlights from the song are the opening with the haunting blend of their voices; the instrumental bridge with the chilling violin; and the last rendition of the chorus.

While they did make an official music video for the song that's pretty great, I prefer the audio version. The music video has a long intro and cuts off the last time they sing the main chorus, which is why I don't prefer it.

I, uh . . . don't have much else to say. If you haven't heard The Fold before, check them out. They've got a bunch of great Ninjago songs and a few Christian albums that I haven't listened to yet. I'll be doing a few more spooky songs for the rest of the month and a little bit of November. I hope you'll like them!

What'd you think of the song? Based on my brief description of what the Day of the Departed is, would you rather celebrate that, Halloween, or both? (I'd take the candy and cool costumes for Halloween and have it happen before honoring the dead.)

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh! I have never heard of The Fold but I LOVED their voices. And this song was deliciously creepy. I really enjoyed the sound. Perfect for October. Okay, now I need to go find more of their stuff. Thanks for bringing them to my attention! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think they're extremely well-known. At least, according to my knowledge. :P Yeah, the vocals were spot-on in this song! I can sometimes be fussy when it comes to singers, but I really dig their voices. At least, in their Ninjago songs. XD October is indeed the best month for spooky music! You're most welcome; I'm always happy to hear when people find new music through these little posts. If you ever need suggestions on what you should listen to, just ask. :D

      Delete