Monday, August 13, 2018

A Change of Plans /// Music Monday #30

Picture.

All amazing blog posts start with a cool picture.


And information.

Information about what song we're listening to, where it's from, and who composed it.

"The Game Has Changed" from Tron: Legacy
Composed by Daft Punk

And music.

The music I said we were listening to today.


Okay, so before I talk about the song itself, I want to mention that the reason I did my post intro like it is--parodying the opening of The LEGO Batman Movie--is because I was going to originally share the song "Black" from said movie's soundtrack. However, the vast majority of its tracks are not on YouTube, and I'm not sure if people would just skip listening to it if I had to give the Spotify link to a 7-minute song. I mean, YouTube requires no account to listen to music on there, while Spotify does, so obviously the former is most convenient. If you still want me to share "Black," I can do so next week. Let me know in the comments.

Now, for today's actual pick . . . I'm going to just say it outright: I found Tron: Legacy to be a mediocre film. The plot was uninteresting, characters weren't well-developed, light cycles were over-advertised when they were only present in the film for five minutes, and C.L.U. never left the uncanny valley (although one might argue that, because the Grid is a virtual reality, it's okay). However, one area that the movie excelled at is its score, composed by the French electronic duo, Daft Punk.

"The Game Has Changed" is a good example of the blending between their signature style and orchestral music. The song has lots of electronic parts to it, almost sounding rough and gritty at times, like it really is from a game created around the '90s. But then it throws in some strings to give a more traditional cinematic feel, and the combination works really well throughout the whole album. If you haven't listened to it yet, I give it my stamp of recommendation. If that means anything to you.

The scene this plays in the abovementioned light cycle battle. I remember how, whenever I thought of Tron: Legacy before I'd seen it, the light cycles came to mind. They were featured prominently in the trailers, if my memory is correct. So I was disappointed when they were used in only one scene. But it was one of the movie's better moments, made even better by the song. Gotta take what you can get, I guess.

Not really sure what else to say, so I'll end the post here. What'd you think of the song? Have you watched the movie, and if you have, what is your opinion on it?

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh yes, you can never go wrong with Tron: Legacy music. I adore that soundtrack! And I actually quite liked the movie. It definitely wasn't perfect, but I found it entertaining. And just pretty to look at. Lol.

    I have a shameful confession... *shifty eyes* I don't have a Spotify account. *and the whole world gasps* I KNOOOOW. I've been meaning to get one FOREVER, and it'd probably take 2 seconds to sign up. And yet I just keep forgetting or not doing. I MUST FIX THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Honestly I haven't watch the movie yet and for that the soundtrack is a bit unfamiliar to me too. I'm kinda curious so I will have to schedule myself to watch this and listen to the this music. Thanks for sharing tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really familiar with the music but I have watched Batman movie. You had your thing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete