Monday, July 30, 2018

You're Gonna Love This /// Music Monday #29

You guys are in for a treat today!


Do you remember that song called "So Far Away"? You know, the one that won the Music Monday 2017 Awards? Well, it just so happens that I've got another song by the very talented artist Gabriel Brown today.

"Say" from the album Getting Stronger
Composed by Gabriel Brown and Nathanael Brown


In case I haven't said it enough, Getting Stronger is a top-notch album. Like, it's one of my favorite lyrical albums of all time. And I can't say that one song is the best. They're all excellent, each with its own unique musical style and themes. But I'd definitely say that this song is my jam, and the best part of the whole thing is the message.

In the description, Gabriel briefly says that he's had to deal with bullies, and this song is about how he dealt with them. In short: he didn't let their opinions of how he should be and act affect him. He stayed true to his nature and was proud of who he was.

Here's my personal take on it: we all have something to say to the world. God made us that way. For me, my stories are a means of communicating not just entertainment, but real truths to the masses. Some people have art as their own way of speaking. They convey things through their drawings or paintings. Others play music, are talented communicators, design video games, dance . . . there's a host of different talents and abilities. And they're our proverbial mouth, our way of telling people something important.

But in life, you will always have folks with the crab bucket mentality. If you've never heard of it, it's referencing what happens when you put two crabs in a bucket. Should one attempt to escape, the other will drag it back down. Misery does indeed love company, it seems. People are the same way. You try to do more, to better your world and those around you, to have an impact and make a difference. The crabs will always try to pull you down, but you can't let them.

The way to do that is to recognize that God made you in a particular way for a particular time and a particular purpose. Don't try to change yourself to appease the masses. God's approval is worth far more than mere human praise. Do your best to ignore the mockers, believe that you are valuable, and, as the song says, "Say what you need to say."

Your family can't do it. Your friends can't do it. Your neighbors can't do it. No one in the world can do it. Only you can speak the words that God has put on your heart. So go ahead.

Say them.

Well, I did not mean for that to turn into a miniature sermon, but here we are! (Props to you if you get the joke.) Did you like the song? What meaning does it hold for you? Are you glad I finally shared another masterpiece by Gabriel Brown?

4 comments:

  1. THIS WAS SO GOOD. And I looove your take on it. What you said actually aligns so much with a huge take-away I got from Realm Makers--that my stories matter and only *I* can write them. That I can make a difference and be a servant for others.

    Thank you for sharing this! The music AND your thoughts. They really uplifted me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my second favourite song in the album! After you introduced us to So Far Away, I looked up the whole Album and added Say to my playlist too. :D I just have to say, say, it's so good.

    That's a really good take on it. :) Thanks again, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^ Who knows why I capitalised 'album'. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dannnnnnnnnnnnnng, I love this song.

    And all of Gabe’s songs.

    Thanks for showing me his Getting Stronger album.

    Cause uh, now he’s all I listen to. XD

    Welp, awesome post, my bro Joe. ;3 Ignore this weird comment. XD

    ReplyDelete