Monday, July 02, 2018

Another Favorite Soundtrack /// Music Monday #27

Is it really that time again? It feels like I just did one of these, and yet it somehow also seems like a long time ago. Kinda weird how that works.


So I've mentioned that I have three favorite soundtracks. I have shared an Undertale song, and two tracks from Ori and the Blind Forest. But I still haven't posted anything from the Mad Max: Fury Road soundtrack. Today, that changes.

"Brothers In Arms (Extended Version)" from Mad Max: Fury Road
Composed by Junkie XL



This is one of my favorite tracks from the soundtrack. (A little aside: I got the deluxe version on iTunes when it was on sale for $7.99. That means I got over 2 hours of mind-blowing awesomeness for just 8 bucks. It's worth so much more than that.) Maybe I really enjoy it because of the two separate tones in it. You first have the growling destruction, the gritty mayhem . . . and then those heroic strings rise out of the dust. It's just perfection.

I have yet to see the movie, but I think this scene in particular might end up being one of my favorites simply because of this song in the background. It's somehow both epic and almost . . . awe-inspiring? It's just good music. So good, in fact, that Hans Zimmer--the legend himself--said that the score was "absolutely phenomenal and mind-blowingly brilliant." I don't take that kind of comment lightly, and I think it was part of the reason that I actually listened to the soundtrack in the first place.

If you haven't heard this score yet, go right now and listen to the whole deluxe soundtrack. You won't regret it. While you may think that it's all action drums and intense pieces, it's not. There are a number of emotional tracks that almost have a classical tone to them, especially in the latter half of the album.

Before I conclude the post, I will mention this: when I write stories, oftentimes music I listen to inspires the scenes before I've even written them. The songs I pick shape the story, and those songs end up on a playlist. "Brothers In Arms" is going to be the conclusion to the final battle in my revamped Portal Chronicles trilogy.

You've probably thought of my cringy old story as an automatic response, but the new version is going to be far better, as well as quite different. This final battle is going to span across two worlds, with the heroes and villains bouncing between them. The stakes will be high, the threat large . . . it'll be a (hopefully) very unique showdown.

All that aside, what'd you think of the song? Have you watched the movie or listened to the soundtrack before? Do you make playlists for your stories? Does the music I showcased today inspire you to write something?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, Fury Road! I watched that movie for the first time a couple of months ago and WOW. It was epic. o.o One of those movies that sticks with you and makes you think about it and the message loooong after the credits have rolled. It was powerful. I will warn you, it's INTENSE. So much gore, and one particularly disturbing scene. But it's also really, really good and thought-provoking.

    And the music. YESSSS! Such heart-pounding, charging, story-inspiring songs. I loved every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete