Monday, April 23, 2018

A Surprisingly Good Meme /// Music Monday #22

Ah, man. If only today was the 22nd! Since, you know, we would then have the 22nd Music Monday post on the 22nd. I'm weird, I know.


"We Are Number One"
Remixed by The Living Tombstone


(He again said not to reupload his video to other websites, so I'm just gonna give the link to the song, like I did with his remix of Carol of the Bells.)

So lemme give ya some backstory to this song. An Icelandic TV show called LazyTown, in October of 2014, aired its second-last episode. In it, the villain (named Robbie Rotten) creates three imperfect clones of himself. His instructions on how to be evil is sung in the song titled, "We Are Number One."

Fast-forward two years later, and a YouTuber by the name of SilvaGunner uploads his own version of the song. It became really popular--as in, the meme level of popularity--and spread like wildfire. Videos would be titled like the one I have today: "We Are Number One Remix but by The Living Tombstone."

What's really cool about this is that it's not just a meme. The actor who played the villain, named Stefan Karl Stefansson, was diagnosed with cancer. When the song became a meme, it was actually done to raise awareness about his health issues and the GoFundMe project that had been started. By the end of 2016, the $100k goal had been surpassed.

And actually, the song is really catchy. I first heard this remix before I heard the original, and while both versions are great, I love the energy behind in the remixed song. It's a definitely another earworm, so . . . if it gets stuck in your head, you're welcome.

Before I end this post, I just wanted to announce two things. First off, it's exactly two months until my first blogoversary, which is absolutely insane. I have an idea of what I'd like to do to celebrate, so I'll clue you all in soon. Secondly, I'm aiming to post part 2 of the vlog tomorrow and part 3 on Friday. The rest of the week is going to be very busy with work, so I need something easy to do to maintain my blog schedule.

Thanks for listening! Had you heard of this meme before? Did you even know about LazyTown before this? (I'd be surprised if you did.) Do you think the reasoning behind the meme of "We Are Number One" makes it better than other memes and trends that have circulated?

2 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no idea what I just watched. XD But it was catchy, for sure!! I actually have heard of LazyTown, but I didn't know the entire story. (Did I surprise you? :D) And the story behind it is honestly amazing. It's so cool that people are willing to come together like that and support others. :D

    I can't wait to see the next part of the vlog!!

    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, LazyTown. I definitely know about it. My sister used to watch it quite a bit when she was really small. This video gave me a serious flashback. XDD It's definitely catchy though! I don't think I was even aware this was a meme! But how awesome it's a meme that actually HELPED. That's really neat about how it raised awareness for the GoFundMe project!

    I can already tell it's totally an earworm type of song and will probably be in my head for the rest of the evening so THANKS! :P

    ReplyDelete