Monday, February 01, 2021

The Music Monday 2020 Awards - Round 1.3

Well, well, look at the clock! It's Music Monday Awards time again!


The last round had . . . well, the number of voters went a bit interesting this time. What happened was 6 people voted for every month on my blog, and 4 people voted for every month on Instagram. But this is where things got funky, because on Instagram, we had 1 extra person vote for May and 2 extra people vote for August. So that's why the result numbers are going to differ a bit. But the people have spoken! I give to you what they felt were the top-tier songs of the second third of 2020 . . . behold!

May: This was such a close one. 5 people would've rather wanted to live in a "Tranquility Base," but 6 people preferred "Main Theme"-- main themes are popular these days, are they not? And it's Ori music, which everyone seems to love.

June: Becoming the most divided of the four months, the numbers were split unevenly over the three songs. 2 people wanted to cruise the streets while blasting "Driving Force: Neon Fog," 3 people decided summer was "Too Hot for Pants," and 5 people wanted to face the "Trials" ahead. Can't say these results are surprising, as we have seen the pattern of voters going for a lyrical song when given the option in previous awards shows.

July: "Always Running?" More like "always never stood a chance." While 2 people gave their votes to that opening song, "Magic" gathered a whopping 8 votes in total! That's a 300% increase, for those of you who like stats. Now that truly is magical! Or maybe it's just Gabriel Brown.

August: A rare event happened in this matchup, where each song got an equal number of votes. (This happened 3 times in the 2018 Awards and 1 time in the 2019 Awards.) That means that "Summer (Tropicala)" and "Starshine Beach Galaxy" are being thrown into a random decision maker for best 2 out of 3. And the victor is . . . "Starshine Beach Galaxy!"

Now we proceed to the final four months and their songs. Will this round prove to be even more difficult than its predecessor? Only one way to find out!

September

"The Simulation" from OneShot


versus "Sand 'n Sails Heatgusts" from A Hat in Time


October

"Hellwalker" from Doom


versus "In Hushed Whispers" from Dragon Age: Inquisition


November

"Shifty Boo Mansion" from Super Mario 3D World


versus "Goodbye" by Taemin


versus "Aveline's Escape" from Assassin's Creed III: Liberation


December

"Snowy" from Undertale


versus "Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai" by Yoko Hikasa


You know what you need to do now: vote for your favorites in the comments below! If your favorite songs haven't won in previous rounds, maybe they will this time. As always, you have two weeks, which means that the 14th is the last day that you can vote in this particular round.

Enjoy making tough choices yet again!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like it's gonna be a close vote this year. I can't wait to see which song wins.

    Alrighty, here we go!

    September: "The Simulation" (While Sand 'n Sails has a super fun bop to it, The Simulation has such an epic flair. Part mysterious and eerie, part fun, all with a thread of retro thrown in. It's such a great combination of music! I love it!)

    October: "In Hushed Whispers" (For once an easy decision! XD I seem to be a fan of soft eerie songs. They get me every time. This one practically gives me chills and DEFINITELY sounds like the stuff I like to write to. This may be one of my favorites you shared all year!)

    November: "Goodbye" (Annnd this made up for the easy decision for October's pick. *sigh* I mean, a Mario song vs. Assassin's Creed and then just the pure epicness of Goodbye??? Finally had to go with Goodbye because, well, like I said, it's just EPIC. I love the sound of it, and you really can't beat that music video.)

    December: "Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai" (Another hard choice! The Undertale song is such a happy, pleasant one! Buuut the other one is just absolutely gorgeous, I finally had to go with it.)

    Well, it was a mix this time! September and October were actually pretty easy choices, but November and December were HARD. Annnd I know it's now just going to get way harder from here. But I'm super excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could very well be! I suppose we'll have to wait and see how things progress . . .

      Totally get what you mean. The musical style of "The Simulation" is nothing short of fantastic. It conveys a lot of different tones and emotions very well.

      Yeah, I kinda suspected that you'd go with that one. The strings are just so, so eerie. It's honestly amazing. And wow, that's surprising that you'd say that--yet at the same time, I can see why you would.

      It's a very weird decision to make because of how vastly different the songs are from each other. But I can totally see why you chose what you did. The music video is dope.

      It's a very beautiful song. Gives me so many feels. You really need to watch Attack on Titan. I think you'd love it.

      I think we all know that rounds 2 and 3 are the hardest, for sure. But like you said, that's also what makes this whole thing really fun and exciting. Thanks for participating! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Time for my votes! :D

    September: "Sand 'n Sails Heatgusts" from A Hat in Time

    October: "In Hushed Whispers" from Dragon Age: Inquisition

    November: "Aveline's Escape" from Assassin's Creed III: Liberation

    December: "Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai" by Yoko Hikasa

    Really great songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for voting, good sir! Your taste is impeccable, as it always is. :D I have to say, none of these picks surprised me, so that's . . . probably a good thing, right? XD

      Delete
  3. All right, time for me to finally get around to voting again.

    September: Ugh . . . this is one of those decisions where I'm just like, "WHY CAN'T I PICK BOTH???" But I think I might like "The Simulation" a smidgen more. As fun and bouncy as the AHiT song is, there's something about the one from OneShot that just captures my attention in a different way. It's one where I find it hard to pin down the exact emotion or feeling that it conveys, and I like that mysteriousness.

    October: I love the Doom soundtrack, I really do. I'm usually not much of a metal dude, but it's an exception. And the fact that they used a chainsaw as an instrument? Crazy! But that quiet, ominous tone of "In Hushed Whispers" gets me every time. It's so eerie and chill-inducing, but also sorrowful and forlorn. Plus, I'm a sucker for strings, which it supplies in heaps. Couldn't not pick it in the end.

    November: This is the weirdest month for voting. While June's songs were all along a similar vein and made it a bit easier to choose, this one is just so many different things. Honestly, my vote boiled down to either "Goodbye" or "Aveline's Escape," but I think I'm gonna have to go with "Goodbye." There's nothing to dislike about the song. Taemin has a powerful voice with which he uses to convey the beautiful and haunting lyrics, the music is fire, and the video is nothing short of amazing. It's just all so good!

    December: This is the easiest one for me. I love Undertale and its OST, but "Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai" gets my vote. It's my favorite ED for Attack on Titan so far, and it's very, very feelsy. Yoko's vocals are so captivating, honestly. Well, the whole song is. It's a thing of beauty, and I had to give it my support.

    All right, all right, this round wasn't horrible. It went a little easier than I expected. The next two rounds, on the other hand, are going to be so much worse.

    ReplyDelete