Monday, January 18, 2021

The Music Monday 2020 Awards - Round 1.2

And we're back, one and all, to the greatest music awards show ever since the real ones became trash!


In our previous round, 10 people voted for what they thought was the best song for each month in the first third of 2020. We have the results for you now, and they are as follows!

January: Though 3 people who enjoyed the festive spirit of "Toy Day," 7 others preferred the emotional "Echoes" over it. I mean, those hauntingly beautiful vocals, man! How do they not stir up deep emotions within you?

February: 6 people relived the lovey-dovey mood of Valentine's Day through "Cherish." It's really fun and upbeat, but at the same time, it's laden with absolute sweetness. Being cherished by someone else is pretty powerful.

March: "You Say Run," said 7 people, which nailed this track the victory. The song gets your blood pumping and may have even make you want to punch someone in the face--though we don't recommend this unless said person is a villain.

April: 4 people held on to the hope that "Hope (Xavier's Theme)" would win, but those hopes were broken down by "Attack on Titan," much like the Colossal Titan broke through Wall Maria. 6 votes went to that heavy-hitting track in the end!

Now it's time to move on to the next four months and vote for our favorites. Will the decisions be easier or harder for you, you wonder? Well, you're about to find out!

May

"Tranquility Base" from Starbound


versus "Main Theme" from Ori and the Will of the Wisps


June

"Trials" by Starset


versus "Too Hot for Pants" by MDK


versus "Driving Force: Neon Fog" from Katana Zero


July

"Magic" by Gabriel Brown


versus "Always Running" from Meta Runner: Season 1


August

"Summer (Tropicala)" from Stardew Valley


versus "Starshine Beach Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy 2


All right, it's up to you now! Submit your votes in the comments and cross your fingers in the hopes that your favorite songs will end up moving on to round 2! Don't forget, you have until the end of the 31st to vote, so try not to spend the entire two weeks despairing over which ones you should choose.

Have fun, and do tell me how this round compares to the last one in terms of difficulty!

11 comments:

  1. *rubs hands together* Hopefully this won't be as difficult as last time! XD

    May - Tranquility Base
    June - Driving Force: Neon Fog
    July - Magic
    August - Summer (Tropicala)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So . . . was it more difficult??? I'm left in suspense not knowing!

      You made some really good choices--thanks for voting! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Another day, another existential crisis. *cracks knuckles* Let's do it! :D

    May: "Tranquility Base" (I'm honestly shocked at my own choice here. When I saw an Ori song was an option I was like, "Well, this'll be easy!" But then I relistened to Tranquility Base and...man. It just stirs something inside you. I...I think I like it one iota better than the Ori song? Maybe? GAH. This was TOUGH. I almost had to just pass on choosing because I think I like these two just about equally.)

    June: "Trials" (I actually decided on this one pretty fast, despite having THREE choices. But Trials is such an epic song with fantastic lyrics. I feel like it fits so well for a ton of my characters.)

    July: "Magic" (Another one that gave me SERIOUS pause because I like these both just about equally! Finally had to go with Magic because it's such a fun little bop but it was CLOSE.)

    August: "Summer (Tropicala)" (UGH. This was TOUGH. Both of these are the type of music I just LOVE. I'm surprised I'm not going with a Mario Galaxy one, but there's something so peaceful about the Summer one. Also, this reminds me I REALLY need to play Stardew Valley. Been meaning to for ages...)

    Gracious me, I think this was a tad harder than last time. So many of these came to a near about tie for me! And I'm still questioning my choices... You just find too many good songs to share with us! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a normal Music Monday Awards day, then. XD

      Yeah, there's something really special about Starbound's soundtrack. The emotions it can stir within you is incredible. At least you were able to decide, though. I don't know what I would've done if you had passed. :P

      Gotta love it when one sticks out to you and makes for an easy decision. Starset is great at creating songs that work for story inspiration.

      For some reason, I just assumed that you preferred "Magic" over "Always Running," but it's kinda cool to know that it was a close win!

      Ooh, this was a surprise pick from you. Definitely recommend playing Stardew Valley! Very fun and very chill game.

      Yes, it definitely did seem like this round gave you some difficult choices. I'm happy that I can share a lot of great tunes! :D

      Delete
  3. I feel these were a bit harder to choose from compared to the last round! Here are my votes...

    May: ""Main Theme" from Ori and the Will of the Wisps

    June: "Driving Force: Neon Fog" from Katana Zero

    July: "Always Running" from Meta Runner: Season 1

    August: "Starshine Beach Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be a reoccurring message that I'm hearing. But doesn't the difficulty make it even more fun? XD

      You have some very good taste, my friend! Thank you for participating. ^_^

      Delete
  4. All right, (finally) time for me to vote . . .

    May: This one is an obvious choice for me. As much as I absolutely adore the work Gareth Coker did for the Ori games, I'm voting for "Tranquility Base." Echoing what Christine said, I've always been in awe of the emotions that song stirs up within me. Is it peace? Is it sorrow? Something else entirely? I don't know, but I'm drawn to it. Definitely one of my favorite video game tracks of all time, there's no doubt about that.

    June: This was not an easy decision to make. I love all three of these songs so much, and now I have to pick just one . . . I think I will vote for "Too Hot for Pants." I just love MDK's music so much, and I honestly think that he doesn't get enough credit for his work. It holds a lot of special memories for me, as weird as that might sound. Plus, it's fun to crank up while driving in the summer, windows rolled down.

    July: Ugh, another toughie. I love both, but I think I'll go with "Always Running." Definitely an underrated song, one that gets you pumped up and motivated. And the lyrics are also really cool and super pretty??? And I love the singer's voice/vocal quality. And the music is a cool mix of rock with electronic bits and piano and strings and all that wonderful stuff. Just a really dope song overall.

    August: AGH. This is a horrible matchup. I love them both. I really don't want to betray the SMG2 OST, because it's one of my favorite Mario soundtracks. But I think I like "Summer (Tropicala)" just a teensy-tiny bit more--maybe? While "Starshine Beach Galaxy" definitely feels like visiting a beach in the summer, the track from Stardew Valley almost feels a little more, shall I say, all-encompassing when it comes to summer. When listening to it, I can envision not only going on a beach trip, but also things like festivals and fairs, walks in the warmth, working in the garden, biking to go get ice cream . . . even enjoying the rainy days. That's my thought process behind this vote, and I'm sticking to it.

    Welp, I can't imagine what round 1.3 is going to be like. Hopefully it'll be a little bit nicer to us. (Pretty doubtful of that, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I think all my picks for the first round made it! On to a new batch of songs...

    May: Tranquility Base (GaSp, I can't believe I'm not picking an Ori song! But I have to echo Christine, Tranquility Base was so... peaceful and stirring.)

    June: Trials (Starset!!!)

    July: Magic (but it was hard to pick!)

    August: Summer (Tropicala) (again, I liked them pretty equally)

    I have a feeling the next round is going to be EVEN harder, knowing how these awards tend to go... o.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love it when that happens, right?

      Oh yeah, I'm sure it will be--and if not round 1.3, then rounds 2 and 3 will most certainly be a lot more difficult. Thanks for voting!

      Delete
  6. May - Main Theme
    June - Too Hot For Pants
    July - Magic
    August - Summer
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating again, Mom! Appreciate it. ^_^

      Delete