Monday, January 11, 2021

Enjoying the Cold /// Music Monday #93

So I reminded myself when the weekend began that I needed to write up a Music Monday post. But then what did I proceed to do? Completely forget about it. So here we are.


Our song for today is . . .

"In Wonderment of Winter" from Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Composed by Gareth Coker


If you listened to the Blind Forest soundtrack back when the first Ori game came out, you know that Gareth Coker is a master at making music that is absolutely beautiful. Give me a game soundtrack with a prettier score. I'll wait. So when Will of the Wisps was announced with Gareth at the helm of the music department again, we all knew we were in for another treat. This song is but a small taste of that gorgeousness.

Seeing as I'm still playing the first game and haven't gotten to the second one yet, I'm not sure where this plays in the context of the game. However, I can definitely say it has some wonderful winter vibes to it. I'm not sure what kind of instrument is making that tinkling sort of noise--I'm bad at instrument names--but it adds a lot to the track overall. It brings to mind images of sparkling snowflakes drifting to the ground. The vocals that start off being a female choir before switching to a male one also work really effectively. It's like their voices represent a gentle wind blowing through and stirring up the snow. And obviously the piano, strings, and flute fill the rest of the snowy tones.

I really don't know what else to say today. I normally get deep and meaningful here, or write some interesting tidbits, but not today. I'm kinda rushing to get this out for you, and it's almost my dinnertime, so . . . there's that. Sorry for this being so short!

I hope you enjoyed the song, and that you're still enjoying winter!

1 comment:

  1. OOOH. An Ori song I've not heard yet! *heart-eyes* Oh wow, this one is just gorgeous. (I mean, OF COURSE. It's an Ori song!) It's got such an enchanting, wistful sound to it. Absolutely perfect for winter. Man, Gareth Coker really is a genius!

    ReplyDelete