Monday, August 24, 2020

One Final Summer Song /// Music Monday #83

 Well, well, guess it's time for another one of these.

We've got one more summery song before returning to our regularly scheduled programming, and it is . . .

"Starshine Beach Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy 2

Composed by Mahito Yokota

I could scarcely believe it when I found out that in the three years I've run this blog, I haven't shared a single song from either one of the Galaxy games. It's crazy! They've got some of my favorite soundtracks in the entire Mario franchise. (We need a proper Galaxy 3 on Switch, please and thanks, Nintendo, with the graphics of Odyssey and the music of the first two games.)

For some reason, this song gives me serious Super Mario Sunshine vibes--maybe because Starshine Beach is tropical and beachy with music to match, and is inhabited by Piantas. And wouldn't you believe it, I just looked up this galaxy on the Super Mario Wiki to make sure that I spelled Piantas correct, to find that there are indeed many similarities to Sunshine. Hooray for my associative brain!

There's just something about the Galaxy soundtracks that I can't get enough of. It's like their . . . musical vibe, for lack of a better term. It's so perfect! Like, this song makes me happy and nostalgic, which probably stems from fond memories of playing Galaxy 2. Now I want nothing more than to pick up the game again and play to my heart's content. Some people give it flack for supposedly being all of Nintendo's leftover galaxy ideas from Galaxy, but I think that's a load of crock. To me, it's better than the first game, but that could be because I played it/owned it first.

Also, can I explore with this music playing? Like, I'll go to a cozy, charming port town, walking along the pier, exploring the markets, eating fresh fruit . . . or I can play this when I go to New Zealand to meet my friends. That'd also fit really well. As I said, these games have perfect scores.

And that does it for today's post! Was the song a good addition to our collection of summery tracks this year? Have you played the Galaxy games? Which is your favorite, if you have?

1 comment:

  1. Ah yisssss. You can never, ever, ever, ever, ever go wrong with Mario Galaxy music! I listen to it ALL. THE. TIME. It's just so happy and peaceful. Plus the music makes me all nostalgic too. I love these games! I've actually been playing Mario Galaxy 2 here and there lately! They're just such good games! I thiiink the first one is my favorite? But I do think they're BOTH fantastic.

    This was the perfect way to end your summer songs! *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete