Monday, March 23, 2020

Celebrating Animal Crossing! /// Music Monday #72

You ready for yet another wonderful piece of music?


Our song for today is . . .

"8PM" from Animal Crossing: City Folk
Composed by Nintendo


In case you somehow missed it, Animal Crossing: New Horizons dropped for the Switch on Friday (yes, I did go out and buy it right after work). I would've picked a track from there, but since the OST isn't on YouTube just yet, I decided to pick something from the last main series Animal Crossing game that released on console--which was City Folk for the Wii, released in 2008. (Man, it's been a while.)

This is one of my favorite hourly songs from the game. I mean, they're all great, but there's something really comforting and relaxing about this particular one. Maybe it's the soothing acoustic guitar. Maybe it's that one note of whatever instrument it is at 0:57. I dunno what exactly makes this track stand out.

What I do recall is memories of playing City Folk at 8pm, especially on Saturdays when I'd hop on to quickly run over to the museum to hear K.K. Slider perform at the Roost. Sometimes you'd go out of your house and it'd be raining or snowing, which changes the music a bit. It makes the song even more peaceful somehow. Those were simpler times, simpler days.

Man, now I'm kinda wanting to pull this game out and play it again. Obviously it's not going to be as good as New Leaf or New Horizons, but the nostalgia factor will probably ease up the test of time. And let's be honest, no matter how old each title might be, the Animal Crossing series never loses its charm. I've played other life simulators, but none of them have quite the same appeal as the ones about living in a town of anthropomorphic animals.

To me, the games have always been about slowing down, taking a breath, regrouping your mind, and just enjoying the moment. You lose track of time and reality for an hour or two, and you can relax as you live an uncomplicated life. With what the world is going through these days, Animal Crossing is a much-needed reprieve. It makes the release date of New Horizons very, very timely.

Did you enjoy the song? Have you bought New Horizons yet? What's your favorite title in the series? Share some of your favorite Animal Crossing memories!

4 comments:

  1. The hype going around for the new Animal Crossings game makes me want to try it out, even though I’ve never played any of them before. This song is great, though! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played New Horizons for only a few hours, and I can already confirm that it is a great game. What systems do you have? It is! Such a charming and relaxing little tune. ^_^

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS YES. This is one of my favorite hourly songs from the game! I, too, loved to hop in at 8PM to check out K.K. Slider. Good times, good times...

    And Animal Crossing has definitely always been my relax and unwind game. It's just so simplistic and calming. My mom, who doesn't play video games AT ALL, actually got into this one. She loved how calming and charming it was. It was great. XD You just really can't go wrong with Animal Crossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AYY, nice! *high fives* I still have so many of his songs to collect . . . I did get them all in Wild World. XD But yeah, I have a lot of fond memories of City Folk. Played it again last night and really enjoyed it, even if it's not as good as New Leaf or New Horizons.

      It works so well to get me to just chill. New Leaf in particular has really done that for me. Do you have a favorite AC title? Oh, I could definitely see that happening. That's fantastic, honestly. XD You got that right!

      Delete