Friday, April 12, 2019

Struggles of an Artist: Devotions

We've been on a series where we discuss some of the struggles we face as creative artists. We've talked about time and our management--or perhaps mismanagement--of it. In the last installment, we chatted about self-care, how we need to look after ourselves if we want to actually help others. There are several areas of our lives that we have to tend to, and one of those is the area of spirituality. That's where today's topic fits in.

source

I enjoy going to church on Sundays. Participating in a community of fellow Christians is refreshing, I find. The time of worship helps me focus on God, and I learn so much from the messages. Teaching the kids once every four weeks is also fun, and something I don't take lightly. I wouldn't replace my going to church for anything in the world.

But it isn't enough. Some people are of the mindset that all you need is a Sunday morning service, and you're good to go for another week. That is not the case. You might get by, sure, but there's more to life than simply "getting by." We need to have our own personal devotional time.

It's a bit like college or university. You get taught by the professor at his class, but imagine what would happen if you did no studying on your own time, if you thought that you need only attend the class. The chances of you failing would be very high, indeed. Unless you're a brainiac or something, but that's not the point here.

Taking the time to do devotions is very important, and I'm discovering the truth in that more and more. By no means does this make me perfect, as I still struggle to have my devos every day. It just means that I'm trying to make more of an effort to do the things I need to do.

"How do devotions help with my art?" you might be asking. There are a couple of reasons, I think. The first is that God is the greatest artist of all time. He inspired many people to write the Bible; He created everything in existence. He is the source of our imagination and the origin of our ideas. Doing devos helps you strength your connection with Him. Why would you not want to be rooted firmly in the fountain of creativity and inspiration? If a car isn't connected to the engine, it ain't going anywhere fast, and not without struggle. Things get easier when the engine is in use.

The second reason is going back to self-care. If you don't take care of yourself spiritually, it really does affect your creative outlet, as well as the rest of your life. I recently-ish went through a season where I hadn't done my devotionals in a while, and it impacted me in a negative way. When I went back to doing them, my life changed for the better. Spending time with Jesus gives me hope, peace, and joy.

As for how much time you should spend and what you do during that time . . . honestly, it's up to you. There are no rules dictating what you're supposed to do and how long you should do it. I prefer to read one chapter of the Bible (I'm currently reading through it in the Voice translation) and one chapter of a teaching book. What's nice about the devotional book that I'm reading is that it has a couple of questions at the end for reflection. I also want to start doing a bit of writing for my devos too, such as when I find a verse or passage that God directs me toward, or for me to actually pen my answers to those reflections. Like I said, you can decide what works best for you.

One precaution: be wary of simply falling into the habit of doing devos for the sake of doing it. When it becomes a chore, it becomes a bore. Cheesy, I know, but it's true. It's the same thing for my writing. If I fall into the doldrums of merely doing it because I'm "supposed to," then it shifts into something tedious. What's the solution? Go to the heart of it all. Doing devotions is all about strengthening my relationship with Jesus, so that I may know Him better and trust Him more. Likewise, my writing is something that I feel is my calling, something that brings meaning to my life.

In fact, why don't we tackle the subject of meaning next time? I like the sound of that.

What did you think of this post? I hope you didn't feel condemned if you're not currently doing devos, because that wasn't my intent. When you do take the time to have devotions, how does it impact your life personally? Do you agree or disagree that it affects our art?

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree that it affects our art, and yes I agree that we as artists should especially be affected, because God is the God of creation ;D That should wow us. I do devotions every morning before writing, usually reading a chapter or sometimes two or three. I usually workout while I read. My main issue is focusing on the words as I read them. I don't want to just read ... but sometimes I do. When I workout it is actually a little easier, because the exercise wakes up my mind some more. But still have to make myself focus more ... but yeah, reading before writing I think really impacts what sort of stuff I write and my mood for the rest of the day.

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't exercise and read at the same time. I think I wouldn't be able to focus. I'd sooner be able to meditate and think about my relationship with God and His promises for me while working out. I try to do some devos when I get home from work, but that doesn't always happen. It's something I'm working on.

      Delete
  2. SUCH a great reminder, YES! I always find my writing goes smoother and is more enjoyable when I'm feeling closer to God. When I'm stressed and haven't been spending much time with Him, the words just don't flow as well. Because, like you said, God is the greatest artist of all time. He's the Ultimate Creator, and He WANTS us to create as well. He takes such joy in it, and wants to be included in the process. Which sometimes blows my mind. God, the creator of the universe, wants to be part of me and my little stories. It's just...amazing.

    I've found if I pray before writing, it almost ALWAYS goes better. It's like inviting God to join me as I work on my story. I love that feeling! Unfortunately, I too, too often forget to do that. But when I do, it helps a lot.

    But yes, this was all so good. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, the biggest struggle I have in my writing is that inclusion part. I need to--WANT to--invite God into the process, the thick of it all, and get His advice and help. It's something that I need to remember to do more often. I need to make a point of doing it until it's just natural.

      I used to pray every time I wrote, but somewhere along the line I stopped. It became repetition of the same words, and that's not how I'd actually talk to a friend. Another area of my life to work on!

      Thank you! :D

      Delete
  3. This was a great post! I've been thinking about this subject a lot recently and our bible study group just talked about this! I've been feeling spiritually low recently and I know devotions is a big part of my life that I shouldn't neglect.

    Devotions definitely an impact on my life, especially prayer. We have constant access to the creator of the universe! We shouldn't take that lightly! And when we're close to Him, He is close to us.

    And I agree that when you are at peace with God, art comes much more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! Really? That's an interesting coincidence. I hear ya; it's something I want to do on a regular basis.

      Very well said! How could we not tap into that source of creativity and life?

      Indeed. It's a subject that I need to think about and act on more often.

      Delete