Monday, December 03, 2018

Time for Winter Songs /// Music Monday #38

Well, seeing as it is December once more, I think it's time to pull out the festive/wintery music. And what better day to do that than on a Music Monday?


Today, our song is . . .

"Homecoming Hijinx" from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Composed by David Wise and Kenji Yamamoto


In the game, Donkey Kong and his friends have been kicked off of DK Island by the dastardly Snowmads. But these simians aren't going to take this lying down. They begin to island-hop back to their homeland, where the villains have set up their base of operations and frozen everything over. This song is what greets you as you begin to make your way through the final world--or island, in this case.

It's a song that has a cold air about it. You can practically hear the wind whistling and feel the snowflakes on your skin as you crunch over the icy turf. The male choir adds a sinister level to it, reminding you that you're in enemy territory right now. They're not going down without a fight. But even though this is described as the "Snowmads' Island Theme" in the title, I feel like there's more to that.

Because within all of what I've already mentioned, there's a steady determination, a sensation that you're also packing a punch and will fight just as hard as your foes. You won't back down. This is your home, not theirs. You'll reclaim it or die trying.

As much as this is the Snowmads' theme, this is also the Kongs' theme. One five minute song somehow manages to blend a chilly atmosphere with the threat of the antagonists and the grit of the protagonists. And we're talking about apes and penguins here, folks!

That's one thing I always love about Nintendo: they take their soundtracks seriously. Whether it's Donkey Kong beating up boss polar bears and puffer fish, Mario racing through the last castle to save Peach while Bowser spews fireballs at him, squid-kids shooting each other up with ink, the entire galaxy being rescued by the pink puffball himself, or a hero clad in green fighting darkness throughout the ages, the music scoring it all is magnificent. Nintendo soundtracks will always be some of my favorite video game music albums out there, hands-down.

What'd you think of the song? Do you agree with my analysis, or are you of the opinion that I'm overthinking things here? Do you like Nintendo music, and if so, which franchise has your favorite tunes? Are you looking forward to more wintery songs?

4 comments:

  1. I like the song! I listened to it while writing, so I don't have much opinion. But I think it's fun how you analyze it :)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Ah, well, as long as it was at least good background music, then that's fine. :P I enjoy doing that! These posts are good opportunities for me to nerd out.

      Delete
  2. Nintendo will always be the master at soundtracks. They're what got me into soundtracks in the first place. And oooh my, this song is no exception! I've not played this game, so haven't heard it before but ACK. I LOVE IT. Your analysis is spot on. It stirs something inside you, makes you want to go and do some heroic deed. Haha. It's seriously epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their game soundtracks often top the others in the industry. Really? I didn't know that! :O It's a great game, but then again, that's frequently a given when it comes to Nintendo. Oh, thank you! I'd have to agree. :)

      Delete