Monday, December 31, 2018

Last Song of the Year /// Music Monday #40

Well, here we are, standing on the precipice of tomorrow with the path of yesterday behind us. 2019 has almost arrived . . . and what better way to celebrate it than with a song?


But I'm not treating you to just any old song. No, no, this one needs to be special. So I decided to share with a track that is not only one of the most beautiful, stirring pieces of music I've ever heard, but one that is also an all-time favorite of mine. I present to you . . .

"Undertale" from Undertale
Composed by Toby Fox


What's amazing about this song is that it basically consists of two leitmotifs from Undertale: "Once Upon a Time," which is the game's main theme, and "Memory/His Theme," a theme for an integral character whom I won't disclose due to spoilers. Of all the tracks on the album, this is the only one to be played by real instruments (aside from the piano in "Last Goodbye," and possibly the guitar in a couple of songs like "Home"). Plus, if you slow this song down by 666%, it sounds like "The Choice."

So in other words, Toby Fox is a mad genius.

Now, if you haven't ever played Undertale, I will try to set the stage a little for why this song is so special in the game, while avoiding major spoilers. This song plays as you traverse New Home, the city leading up to the final boss. While you walk along, you encounter more monsters. Normally, a fight would begin, but these creatures aren't here to harm you, nor you them. What they instead do is tell you their side of the story: how they ended up in the Underground, the tragedy that struck the royal family, and what's going to happen now so that they can return to daylight again.

At this point, you might be pausing and paying more attention to the music, then saying, "But it sounds too happy! Isn't this supposed to be a sad moment for the monsters?"

Well, yes, they do speak of emotional subjects, and Toby originally planned for the song to be more somber. But you know what he found? It didn't fit the tone of the scene. These Underground denizens aren't sad about the past; they're looking forward to the future. In fact, as the song's final notes sound, you encounter a few monsters who have this to say, the last one being the very first kind you fight in the game:

"Aren't you excited?"

"Aren't you happy?"

"You're going to be free."

Honestly, playing the game and reading these lines almost make me cry. Heck, even now, tears are threatening to break free. As a guy named Xiao Andy said in the comments (seriously, what he has to say in all of the tracks posted by Misaki is so well-thought-out), ". . . Undertale isn't about sadness. It's about hope. Love. Kindness. Compassion. Mercy. And above all, holding onto these precious things in the face of pain and sadness."

I think this is why this song is one of my all-time favorites. It bears the game's title with pride and honor, totally deserving of it. Where most games give you intense "this is it, the world's ending" music right before the final boss, Undertale delivers a reminder that it's not all about that. It's also a good way to start the new year. Keep your chin up and keep a smile on your face and joy in your heart, despite all that may have happened in 2018.

Be excited. Be happy.

Because you're going to be free. Just stay determined.

I hope that was a good send-off for the year, and I hope that you all enjoyed the song as much as I do. What'd you think of it? If you've played Undertale, what did you think of the scene this played in? If not, what're your thoughts? (Also, if you've played the game already, check out some of the video's comments. They're so heartwarming.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my.
    O___O
    This is one of the most moving pieces I've ever heard. It's somehow melancholy and yet so full of hope at the same time, which sounds like was the point from what you said about the scene. I love this so, so much! I'm definitely saving this one! In fact, the tone fits a future story idea I have. Thank you for sharing!!! :D New favorite instrumental piece!

    I loved every thing you said here. What a wonderful thing to reflect on as we ring in the new year. And on that note...

    A very Happy New Year to you!!! I do hope your 2019 is full of blessings! *shoots fireworks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's seemingly very "simple," and yet it's a masterfully composed piece of music. That's exactly what it is. It blends the two emotions so powerfully, one of the reasons why I love it as much as I do. And I'm very happy that you enjoyed it too! Ooh, now my curiosity is piqued . . . You're very welcome! Haha, mission accomplished. ^_^

      I'm also glad that you enjoyed my ramblings. Thank you for the well-wishes! Happy New Year to you as well; I hope the same for you. ;) *claps, then shoots my own*

      Delete