Monday, September 10, 2018

Chiptune Greatness /// Music Monday #32

Are you tired of your current music selection? Bored of hearing the same song on repeat for the last hour? Then you're in the right place, because today is Music Monday! Where we give you a new earworm to listen to for the next hour.


Today's selection is . . .

"Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage)" from Shovel Knight
Composed by Jake Kaufman


So I recently started playing Shovel Knight, a fun throwback to the retro games of old. It currently has three campaigns, which are like games within the game, and is coming out with a fourth, plus a Smash Bros.-like title. I have to say, it's amazing. I haven't done much in the first campaign, Shovel of Hope, but it's shaping up to be one of my favorite Steam games so far.

The plot of it so far is that Shovel Knight used to explore with his love, Shield Knight. Nothing could stop this dynamic duo! Until one day, when they adventured into the Tower of Fate, and Shield Knight touched an amulet that was cursed. Shovel Knight awoke outside, with his companion nowhere to be found.

Brokenhearted, he turned to a life of solitude and labor. But when the Enchantress and her fierce Order of No Quarter rise up, and the Tower of Fate's protective seal opens once again, Shovel Knight knows he must rise up to the challenge and save both his love and his land.

And thus, you enter the Plains of Passage, with this amazing tune playing in the background. It's so catchy and somehow encompasses both a fun tone and a hint of a grand quest in the making. Honestly, I think this is chiptune done right. I listened to part of this soundtrack a while back and thought it was decent enough. I just couldn't really recognize one track from the other. But I randomly listened to this again not long ago and absolutely fell in love with it.

As I've played more of the game, I have enjoyed and appreciated the other songs, but this one has always stuck out to me as one of the most iconic. I figured I'd share it with you guys, because you may end up loving the soundtrack too, or even the game. Both are more than worth their cost.

So what'd you think? Does this type of music interest or disinterest you? Have you ever played Shovel Knight before? If you haven't, would you consider doing so after reading a little about it?

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, Shovel Knight. I haven't played it myself, but I've watched my brother play it some and I adore the throwback to retro games. The whole style AND music is perfect. It brings me back to my early childhood days and I love it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get a chance, you should play it too. But be warned: it can be a very challenging game sometimes. I've died numerous times, and my playtime is sitting at about 3 hours at the moment. I agree; the game is pretty much perfection in the retro nostalgia department. What kind of games did you play back then?

      Delete
  2. Cool track! :D By hearing this, I get a feeling that the gameplay will be very intense! xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a gamer so not really familiar with this kind of music. Although it sounds nice tho!

    ReplyDelete