Friday, June 04, 2021

Monthly HapPENings: May

It's already time to do another one of these? Dang, it feels like I just wrote one. (I also realized that I never wrote one for February . . . whoops.)


Life stuff, life stuff . . . what kind of interesting stuff happened in my life this last month? Well, we celebrated Mother's Day, so I suppose that's something. On one Saturday, my sisters and I went out to the nearby city for lunch at a very delicious burger place. Since restaurants were take-out only at the time, we found a school park in a very quaint and quiet neighborhood to have a picnic. Then we did some shopping--I picked up a mini sketchbook, some drawing pens, and a few books. We concluded our day out with some milkshakes and a walk in the park. Made for a pretty great day.

I also mentioned last month that I'd had a job interview. Well, I ended up landing the job and started it a couple of weeks ago! I now do copyrighting for work, and that's been great so far. I work with some wonderful people (including my oldest sister), and I am enjoying it a lot so far. Still adjusting to a job where I sit all day, as well as finding my rhythm in the work flow, but that'll come with time. I'm just very thankful that I got a better job where I can use my skills and abilities more. It was definitely a Godsend.

Bookish HapPENings

Well, uh . . . guess I psyched myself up last month for nothing. I have started another book, at least. That's something, right? Maybe?

HapPENings on the Screen


I have now finished watching EXO's Ladder. Very different from anything I've really seen, but super entertaining with a lot of funny moments. I know I mentioned this a while back, but watching EXO interact with one another is a lot like watching a group of close-knit brothers. They may tease and poke and prod each other, but you definitely know that they love each other a lot. And though I saw for the better chunk of a year, it still felt a little sad to wrap things up. Gonna have to see it again several years down the road!


I finally got around to watching Psycho-Pass: The Movie, and it was very interesting! The plot and its themes were super intriguing, as always, and seemed to fit current world situations in some aspects as well--something that Psycho-Pass has done time and time again as I've been going through it. (I did find a little amusing how a certain voice actor showed up, and I was like, "Oh, he's played villains in both Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. I wonder if he's going to turn out to be bad in here?" My guess ended up being correct.) Now I have to see if there's someplace where I can watch the other three (shorter) movies, as well as S3.


So! Jujutsu Kaisen! I was very eager to start this show, because the trailer looked epic and because Preston and I were going to watch it for the first time together. That's something we've never done before--normally one of us is showing the other an anime they haven't seen yet. I've seen only a few episodes of this one so far, but MAN. Is it ever good! If it keeps going the way it is, I would not be surprised in the slightest if it ends up being one of my top favorite anime. It's just so fantastic in every way.


AGH. I HAVE COMPLETED THE FIRST HALF OF SEASON 4. NOW I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THIS WINTER BEFORE I CAN SEE HOW THIS STORY ENDS. AND I CAN'T SAY ANYTHING TO PRACTICALLY ANYONE. Seriously, you need--and I mean NEED--to see this if you haven't! You're missing out on what I would consider one of the greatest stories of all time.

Gaming HapPENings


So my youngest two sisters and I have just started playing Miitopia on the Switch. Most of that time was spent just making characters, but that was to be expected, especially at the beginning of the game. We've made some pretty hilarious choices for who should be the main hero, the Dark Lord, the villagers, etc. I can tell it's only getting to become more amusing for us. If you have a Switch and missed out on this game back when it released on the 3DS, now's the perfect time to pick it up!


We also recently finished Planet Alpha on the Switch. That was a very pretty, very interesting game. You have to piece the story together yourself by paying attention to what's going on throughout the whole game, while solving puzzles and avoiding enemies. Even at the end, I'm not sure I totally understood what was all going on--but not in a bad way. It's one of those games that lends itself to a lot of interesting theories. On top of that. it had some gorgeous scenery that was only enhanced by the game's unique art style. I'll have to replay it sometime and see if I can figure everything out then!

Writerly HapPENings

Recall how I mentioned last month that I was working on a story for a newsletter at my old job. Well, with the announcement of my new job, I had to buckle down and try to finish up the story as quickly as possible. I ended up succeeding with time to spare, somehow. It was an interesting challenge to limit the length of the story as much as I did, but I sincerely hope that the people there will enjoy reading it. If you'd like to read a 35-page mini story, I'll contact you and find a way to get it into your hands! I wouldn't say it's my best work, but it felt good to do some writing after such a long period without it.

And thus, that was my May! How was yours? What're you up to these days? Any stories of any kind--be it a book, movie/show, or game--that you'd recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment