Monday, October 05, 2020

Spooky Season is Back, Baby! /// Music Monday #86

Well, would you look at that? It's October, which means it's time for the spooky songs to make a return!


Today's track is a bit different--not your average spooky song, that's for sure.

"Hellwalker" from Doom (2016)
Composed by Mick Gordon


This one is a gritty type of creepy. There's a fair amount of atmospheric stuff, but it also builds up to the main riff. If the comments on the video are right, then it was done by putting a chainsaw through a synthesizer. Lemme just repeat that real quick: they used a CHAINSAW to make music. That's crazy, though in a totally genius sort of way. Whoever thought you could use household items for creating songs?

I love the whole Doom soundtrack, actually. I'm usually not into metal, and some of the tracks can get quite intense. But this OST seems to be an exception in regards to my musical taste. I'm not sure what exactly it is about it that makes it different from standard metal--maybe the lack of screaming? Whatever the case, the album has some great story inspiration, especially if you're writing harrowing action scenes.

This track in particular is one of my favorites, partially because I'm using it as a theme for an antagonist in The Titan Saga (the sequel trilogy to The Portal Chronicles). I'm having this dude--tentatively called the Puppeteer at this point--who lives up to his namesake by turning people into his personal puppets and controlling them however he sees fit. I haven't worked out all the kinks and details, buuut it's gonna be super creepy. Man, I really need to get back into writing.

Not sure what else there is to say, especially now since my brain is getting into that writerly sort of mood. But I figured this was a fun, different way to kick off a few weeks of music that has more of a chilling atmosphere.

What're your thoughts on the song (and the chainsaw)? Have you heard this soundtrack before? Do you have any suggestions for other spoopy songs I could share?

1 comment:

  1. Okay this song was REALLY cool. o.o Not the usual thing I listen to either but wow, I really like the eerie atmospheric vibe to it. This is GREAT intense writing music. And they used a CHAINSAW??? Now that is thinking outside the box! This was awesome!

    Also, can I just say that your Puppeteer villain sounds absolutely terrifying and totally epic? BECAUSE YES. And add that to this music and that definitely sounds deliciously creepy! :D

    ReplyDelete