Monday, July 13, 2020

The Return of a Favorite Artist /// Music Monday #80

Ayy, it's Music Monday again! Whoop whoop!


So there's this guy whose music I've showcased in 2017, and again in 2018, and he quickly became one of the favorites around here. For some reason, he didn't get the spotlight last year, but he's here again now to continue our upbeat selection of sizzling summer hits. Today we've got . . .

"Magic" from the album Diamond
Composed by Gabriel Brown and Nathanael Brown


Going by the names Black Gryph0n and Baasik respectively, the two brothers have made music for several years now. Gabe does the vocals and writing, while Nate does the producing and sometimes does some background vocals. Honestly, they're a great team. I've enjoyed everything I've heard of theirs, and you can definitely see--er, hear improvement over the years.

This song is just such a fun bop. I'd kinda forgotten it existed until I saw it the other day in my family's music library and was like, "Oh! I haven't heard this in forever!" I have very distinct memories of one of the first times I heard the song. It was a year or two ago, when my sisters and I were hanging out together on a Saturday afternoon in the summer. We were in the nearby city, going through a construction zone when it came on the CD we were playing. I think we may have cranked it, and I might've danced to it. Pretty sure I even remember exactly where in the city we were! It's crazy how our brains can recall some of those things.

Now, as for the lyrics, it's just supposed to be a feel-good song that makes you wanna get up and get your groove on. But one lyric stuck out to me: "Life's not perfect, but right now I don't care." We can all attest to the fact that, though life is rarely ever 100% perfect, it's far from it these days. But the way I take the song in our context, we should still try to stay joyful. I know, way easier said than done. But maybe if we appreciated the little things, if we searched for happiness in the grind, if we tried to wear a smile even when circumstances would have us do otherwise, we'd experience more joy.

But it's more than just being joyful ourselves. We should share that joy with others. Making someone else's day not only increases your own happiness, but it affects them positively as well. All of us could use more joy these days. Why don't we make the effort, as hard as it may be, to do what many others won't? Now, that's not to say that if you're not feeling positive, those feelings are then invalid or that you should just fake being happy. All I'm saying is don't stay there. I know from my own experience it's far too easy to do. But if we were to deal with those emotions and make a conscious effort to be joyful . . .

Well, it just might work like magic.

There you have it! Another fun summer track with another ramble by yours truly. What'd you think of the song? Am I the only one who wants to start dancing when I listen to it? Are you happy that I brought Gabe back for his yearly showcase on the blog?

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' these upbeat summer tunes! They always put a smile on my face! This one was a lot of fun! And I loved all your thoughts on joy. I couldn't agree more.

    I've been thinking a LOT throughout all this how important it is to keep our focus on the good things, on all the little AND big blessings that surround us. There is so much to grieve over, and that is perfectly okay, but it's also so important to remember the good things too. To be the children of the day, the beacons of light, and know the night will not last forever. Basically...everything you said! Yes! :D

    Thank you for sharing this fun song and all your thoughts! They were both much needed. ^_^

    ReplyDelete