Monday, December 16, 2019

A Chilly Atmosphere /// Music Monday #65

Can you believe it? It's the second last Music Monday post of the year! Which means it's almost time for another Music Monday Awards . . . Crazy! It feels like I just did the last one. 2019 really has flown by, hasn't it?


I've got the perfect cold-sounding song for you today! It is . . .

"Forgotten Castle" from Spiral Knights
Composed by Harry Mack


I know I talk a lot about video game soundtracks having songs for winter levels/environments that just feel chilly. Somehow, the composer chose the right instruments to create a track that conveys trudging through deep snow, being blown around by freezing winds, slipping across icy terrain, and desiring for relief from the cold. Music is honestly incredible that way.

Now, today's particular song is a bit different. It plays in an area called the Scarlet Fortress in Spiral Knights, and it literally has nothing to do with snowy environments. Yet, whenever I listen to this outside of the game, it makes me think of the cold. I dunno if it's the instrumentation, or a weird idea that got lodged in my head that it plays in a wintery area, but I've always pictured that when listening to it. To me, it just gives off a chilly atmosphere.

It also sounds kind of . . . sad, or something. Like the reason behind the forgotten castle is heartbreaking. Could just be me, but that's always the tone it's conveyed to me as well. It stirs up some emotion in me, and it makes me a little mournful or wistful. At the same time, it's strangely relaxing as well. Most of the game's OST is like that. There's something about the musical style that puts me at ease.

By the way, that instrument or electronic sound that happens at about 0:32 and once or twice afterward has always stuck out to me. Don't know what exactly it is, but I like it. It's a good example of Harry's interesting musical flair for the soundtrack.

What're your thoughts on the song? Chilly or not? Sad or not? Have you played Spiral Knights? (Highly recommend it, if you haven't.)

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'm not sure I'm familiar with Spiral Knights. But this song WAS somehow relaxing and melancholy all at the same time. I like how you said it, that it feels like there's a heartbreaking reason why the castle is forgotten. It does sound like that. And I DO get a chilly feel from it, too, YES! It's kinda chilly, eerie, and calming, all at once. A fantastic combination! :D

    ReplyDelete