Monday, October 21, 2019

The Stuff of Nightmares /// Music Monday #61

OOOOoooooOOOOOOooooooOoOoOoOoOoOo . . . I'm a ghost! And I'm here with another spoopy song!


Our scary selection for today is none other than . . .

"Your Best Nightmare" from Undertale
Composed by Toby Fox


Unfortunately, this post is going to be short mainly for one reason: I can't talk much about the song within the context of the game. It's used for one of the final bosses, and to discuss the music in-depth or nerd out over how cool the actual fight is, with some of the lore it uses . . . well, that'd be venturing deep into spoiler territory. Sorry about that.

I will say this: Toby Fox is a remarkably clever composer. He took the character's theme--which is a very, very simplistic one, I might add--and used that tune and that tune alone to create this battle theme. It does have another part to it, for the last half of the battle, but I'll play that song a different time.

Everything about this track oozes darkness and evil. Well, save for those few breaks in-between, but I can't really discuss those segments either. As for the rest of the song . . . it's clear that you're fighting a monster here, a rampaging creature bent on destruction and bloodshed. You're standing between it and mass annihilation, so you have to give it your all and fight back. But you'll definitely be shivering with this song playing in the background. The laugh at the beginning just lets you know that you're dealing with true horrors here.

So yeah, I guess I'll have to stop there. Again, sorry that this is so brief, but I really don't want to spoil the game for you. I'm not doing the track or its source material justice, but what can you do?

What'd you think of the music, either within or without the game's context? Do you know who this song is for? If you don't, go buy Undertale right now, play it, then come back so we can be geeky together.

1 comment:

  1. OH. Spoopiness! Gotta love the spoop. This one is such a fun one too. I really like the bits where it plays happy music, then takes a dark turn with it. Very awesome!

    ReplyDelete