Monday, October 07, 2019

It's the Spookiest Time of the Year /// Music Monday #60

Would you look at the time? Halloween is but a few weeks away, which means it's time for some spooky songs again!


Our spine-chiller of the day is . . .

"Majora's Mask" from the album Children of Termina
Composed by Rozen


I have not played The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (because I want to finish Ocarina of Time first and have yet to do that), but I do know that it is hailed as one of the darkest Zelda titles. Rozen, who normally makes Zelda albums by pulling tracks from a bunch of the games, created Children of Termina with music just from Majora's Mask. Thus, it's a bit of a darker album as well.

One of the creepiest songs is the one named after the mask itself. It's unnerving both in the instrumentation and the initial melody. It quiets down in the middle, but it gets more bombastic and intense by the end of it, throwing some haunting choral into the mix. This mask is not something to be trifled with . . .

Also, have I ever mentioned that I absolutely love it when songs use big bells, like the ones at churches or town halls or wherever? At the two-minute mark, some of those bells kick in, and I can't get enough of it. It just adds something really powerful to the track.

. . . My brain is not exactly cooperating with me tonight, because I dunno what else to add. Sorry that this one is really short. Feel free to throw in your own thoughts, opinions, and ideas down in the comments!

Have you played Majora's Mask, and if so, how does it rank among the darker Zelda games? What'd you think of the song? Does it make you wanna check out Rozen's other music? (You should. He makes some epic stuff.)

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm yes. SO CHILLING. This is a great one! Rozen's music has to be some of the best in existence. My word, they are so amazing. This is definitely a great one for writing darker scenes. I love it!

    I have played Majora's Mask, but I, shamefully, never beat it. And that was aaaages ago. Being as how Ocarina of Time is one of my most favorite Zelda games, and MM is a direct sequel, I REALLY need to go back and beat it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it!! Creepy in all the right ways... love how u discover new music on your blog.

    MB> KETURAHSKORNER.BLOGSPOT.COM
    PB> thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh played Majora's Mask but never completed it! the moon is actually terrifying lol XD

    ReplyDelete