Monday, May 20, 2019

What a Fabulous Work of Art! /// Music Monday #50

Hey, guess what time it is? You got it!


Today's song is a very special one for me, because it's going to be used for an upcoming series of mine. (A quick heads-up: there are a couple uses of "damned" and "hell" in the song, but they're proper usages.)

"Instruments of Cyanide"
Composed by Will Ryan



If you're familiar with the indie video game scene, particularly that of the horror genre, you might've heard of a game called Bendy and the Ink Machine. With a visual style that hearkened back to the old cartoons, it basically asked, "What if Walt Disney was evil?" Upon its release, it took the gaming world by storm. One of the things it spawned was a whole slew of fan songs. I've heard a number of good ones, but I think this one is one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite.

Will Ryan (otherwise known as the YouTuber DAGames) makes his own music, which is a combination of his own stuff and video game songs. He often does rock/metal, but there are times when he branches out and tries something new. This is the middle ground, as I believe "Instruments of Cyanide" would be classified as symphonic rock or something.

Will's got a pretty powerful voice on his own, something that's needed for his musical niche. In this song, he's joined by two other YouTube musicians: Caleb Hyles and Chi-Chi. Both of them also have great vocal prowess. A fourth YouTuber, OblivionFall, created the lyric video, and his talent shows.

In the context of the game, they're each singing as different characters. Chi-Chi is the voice of Susie Campbell, the actress who plays Alice Angel; Caleb plays the Projectionist; and I'm really not sure who Will is. Boris, maybe? This probably doesn't make any sense without knowing the original game, which I suggest you should check out.

While I love it for its ties to the game, I love it even more for another reason: it has hugely inspired a trilogy I plan to write. This is all rather hush-hush at the moment, but I basically want to write three connected trilogies. The first is the Portal Chronicles, which you've heard about if you've been on my blog for a while. The second is called the Titan Saga, and the third has no name as of yet. The Titan Saga will be a sequel to the Portal Chronicles . . . and I really can't say much due to spoilers. Trust me, things are gonna get really cool.

Will, Caleb, Chi-Chi: if you, for whatever reason, happen to be reading this . . . thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my art. Your masterpiece of a song has inspired so much of the Titan Saga in its early stages of creative birth. I could go on about how certain lyrics mean different things within the context of my trilogy, but I'd rather not give anything away. Suffice it to say that you deserve to go in the acknowledgements. Without this song, I really have no idea what the sequels to the Portal Chronicles would look like. Thanks again.

Sorry I was so vague in some parts of this post, but like I said, I'd hate to give stuff away. Thanks for reading! What'd you think of the song? Do you have any that inspire your own stories? Do share all!

2 comments:

  1. Fun song! I don't usually get inspired by songs, but they do fuel my inspiration in that they quiet my thoughts so I can focus on my writing for a time ;D

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. o.o That was REALLY neat! It had suuuuuch a neat sound! The style actually reminded me a lot of what Skillet does. Kind of a symphonic rock-ish thing, like you said. And I LOVE that style. This was epic!

    I've somehow never even heard of Bendy and the Ink Machine. But it definitely sounds interesting! A horror version of classic-styled cartoons. That's kind of super fun. XD

    And ooooooh! What is this about three interconnecting trilogies??? :O EEP. THIS SOUNDS EXCITING!!!

    ReplyDelete