Friday, November 02, 2018

Monthly HapPENings: October

Well, 2018 seems to be drawing its last breaths . . .


I don't think anything out of the ordinary happened this last month. The biggest difference was me starting my new job on the 1st. My job now is being a direct support worker for people with disabilities. I supervise and work alongside them at a facility that gives them jobs so they can experience more of a . . . normal life, for lack of a better term. While it definitely has its challenges, and it can sometimes be mentally exhausting, I still love it. I'm gonna miss a lot of these people when I leave one day, which'll probably be a year or two down the road at this point.

Aside from that, nothing too exciting occurred. It was just me adjusting to the full-time life and savoring those sweet, work-free weekends. Oh, yeah! I almost forgot: I went to a friend's house over one of the weekends. I quite enjoyed it; we had fun watching a movie, playing games, and just plain chatting and hanging out. And thanks to both of us having full-time jobs, it made planning "super easy, barely an inconvenience." (Kudos to you if you got the reference and aren't any of my sisters.)

Bookish HapPENings

So I may still be reading the same book since I finished The Iron Trial in September. Whoopsie-doopsie. Here's to hoping I can finish my current stack before the year's end!

HapPENings on the Screen

source

This was my third or fourth time seeing this movie, and it's been a while. I'd forgotten just how amazing it was. Though it wasn't confusing like it was the first time, I was still in awe of the masterful storytelling on display. Everything, from the increasing stakes to the puzzling--and intriguing--plot to the incredible score, was so on-point. You'd have to be crazy to never watch this film.

source

I went into Ant-Man and the Wasp with virtually no expectations, aside from "I hope this is as funny as the first," which it totally was. As the article I linked above as the source mentioned, it's a nice breather from the heavy-hitting movies we've gotten lately and the ones we'll be seeing next year. I've always appreciated Scott's family-oriented nature, and that shines quite nicely in here. Plus, the music still had that awesome style from the first movie, so that was a bonus. An excellent piece of cinema overall!

source

When I was at my friend's place, we watched Mad Max: Fury Road on his big projector screen. Man, was it a blast, somehow going with my expectations and subverting them at the same time. On the surface, it's an action-packed, two-hour-long car chase through the dystopian desert. But I honestly believe that when you peel back the layers, you find some pretty interesting and thought-provoking stuff. I wouldn't be doing it justice by trying to unravel it so briefly here, so maybe for another post? Oh, and the soundtrack was amazing in the context of the movie! (I'd only listened to it by itself before, and it's still epic that way too.)


S6's plot thickens, as the villain, Nadakhan, cleverly catches the heroes alone and imprisons them in his special sword. I still hold firm to the belief that each season is better that the last, and you can tell that the writers are acknowledging their audience's changing age. I also love the fact that one seemingly small thing--Jay not using his third and final wish from Nadakhan--is going to have a big impact in the season's finale.


Finally! My sisters and I are four episodes away from completing our rewatch of S1. Even though I know how it all goes down, the turn of events is still suspenseful and chilling as the heroes get closer to the Reverse-Flash. And I already know that the last episode is gonna make me cry. That's probably a sign of a good show, right?

source

I decided to give Avatar: The Last Airbender a chance, and I'm actually quite enjoying it! I was appreciating how the plot and characters were being set up in the first episode, and the progression from there has been pretty good. It's a very entertaining show, and it's fun to throw in my own comments now and again when I'm watching with Chloe and Kaitlyn. I'm curious to see how the story unfolds throughout the rest of the season.

source

I was interested in this show because it's written by the same guys who did the Ninjago show and The LEGO Ninjago Movie, and a good friend of mine recommended it to me. I've only watched one episode so far, and I'd already say it's quite entertaining. The main characters have been set up well, the plot is interesting thus far, and the villain was someone I didn't guess, but perhaps should've. I'm looking forward to watching more!

Gaming HapPENings

source

I missed playing Breath of the Wild. Like, a LOT. It's just such a good game, and a very unique Zelda title. I hadn't played in what felt like a long time, and returning to it seemed like coming home. I've done some fun stuff, like crazy shield surfing that would've killed if I didn't have Daruk's protection. Or finding two stables that I've somehow managed to miss until now. Or exploring Gerudo Town for the secret club that has special clothing that reminds me of a Fortnite skin. Or waiting forever for a Stalnox to awaken in the night. It's just been a blast, and I need to play some more soon.

Writerly HapPENings

I've written about 1,200 words this month, most of which was for Mechanical Death, my creepy flash fiction I shared with you guys last week. And I realized that I was supposed to go over my writing goals last Monthly HapPENings post, but I forgot. Now I'll just wait to assess the whole year in December's summary.

On the subject of writing, if you don't follow me on Twitter, you won't have heard my big announcement: I'M PARTICIPATING IN NANO THIS YEAR WITH THE PORTAL CHRONICLES! It's my first time, which is why I'm so hyped. While I have no doubt it'll be fun, it will also eat up a lot of my spare time. So I'm not sure what my blogging's gonna look like in November. You'll definitely get both Music Monday posts, but I'm not sure what else. It will depend on how I feel and how the writing goes.

Anyway, I'm finally done. Thanks for listening to me blabber! What'd you guys do/read/watch/play/write last month? Are you participating in NaNo? If so, what's your project about?

2 comments:

  1. I really love Inception and S1 of Flash (my siblings were just watching the musical episode last night).

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, you consumed a lot of awesome TV in October! I agree that Ant-Man and the Wasp was refreshing after the devastation of Infinity War. I think we all needed that break before Marvel continues to tear our hearts and souls out. Eheheheh...

    FURY ROAD. Oh man, that movie is epic. And I totally agree with everything you said! I, too, was kind of expecting an over-the-top action flick with no great meaning behind it. BOY WAS I SURPRISED. I watched it for the first and only time back in April, and I still feel impacted by the deep themes it produced. It really made you THINK and had heart, while also still being an over-the-top action flick. That is not a combination you see often, but I wish we did!

    Oh my goodness, you've never seen Avatar??? For some reason I had in my head you were a huge fan of the show. I guess because it seems SO up your alley! It's like seriously one of my most favorite shows in existence! The first season is good, but just you wait! It gets so much deeper and darker and sldjflsjdf. Ugh. I adore it.

    And I've been wanting to try Troll Hunters myself. My brother tells me it's fantastic.

    Breath of the Wild is seriously one of those games that just never gets tiring. I think I've put 200 hours into it already. o.o I wish I was joking but...yeah. IT'S JUST SO GOOD!

    I'M STILL SO EXCITED YOU'RE DOING NANO!!! I hope it's going well for you! *sends motivational cookies and caffeine* YOU'VE GOT THIS!

    ReplyDelete