Monday, October 09, 2017

Music Monday #8

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! Well, if you're Canadian, that is. Honestly, I don't know why the American Thanksgiving is in November. It's a month before Christmas! I dunno, it just feels like the two holidays are too close together, but maybe you have no issue with it.

Regardless, I'm thankful for music, and it just so happens that today is . . .


And we've got our second lyrical song! (Can I get a "Whoo-hoo"?)

"So Far Away" from the album Getting Stronger
Composed by Gabriel Brown and Michelle Creber


Okay, before you keep reading, watch the video. It's got some incredible footage from the ISS--International Space Station, in case you didn't know. I'm always stunned by how beautiful Earth looks from space. You don't wanna miss the view.

Now that you've seen the video, let's talk about both it and the song. Gabriel was the one who put the footage together. In the description, he says that he "edited, time stretched, color corrected, and digitally panned" the video. Dude, after being a media student in college, I know how long it takes to edit videos, and he went through hours of footage to find the best stuff. Props to you, man. You've got a lot of patience.

As for the song itself, I love the blend of Gabriel and Michelle. Their voices sound really good together. I'm picky when it comes to female vocals, but I can easily listen to Michelle. There's something different about Gabriel's voice; I can't quite put my finger on it, but I love it. When they sing together, it likes the beautiful combination of dough and filling in a Boston cream doughnut. Weird comparison, I know. It's the first thing that comes to mind.

What I wanted to talk about most, though, is the song lyrics. I'm fairly certain that these two aren't Christian (I actually have no idea), yet you can draw some Christian connotations from the song. To me, this song is about wanting to know our purpose in life. We feel a higher calling on our lives, and we long to discover it and know that we're not alone in this world.

The song asks, "Do I belong here, or am I meant for more?" It wonders, "Where can the answers be found?" It feels like the writers are seeking Someone to give meaning to our short slot in the thread of time. We want to make a difference, an impact. We want to be significant. We want to know that there's more beyond this beautiful ball of dust we stand on.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's how the music speaks to me. I could talk more, but my time has been cut short today. I hope this post is long enough for you guys!

What did you think of both the song and the video? If given the opportunity, would you want to, in person, see Earth from space? What's your take on the lyrics? Is my interpretation an accurate one, or simply that: one of many interpretations?

No comments:

Post a Comment