Monday, September 25, 2017

Extreme Epicness Alert /// Music Monday #7

Are you guys ready for this? Because today I'm sharing with you an awesomely epic song. You better hold on to something, because you're about to be blown away! (Hee hee . . . I'm proud of myself for that little joke.)


"Impossible (feat. Merethe Soltvedt)" from the Two Steps From Hell album Unleashed
Composed by Thomas Bergersen


Yes, folks, TSFH has done it again. On Friday, they released a new public album! And it happens to be their longest public album to date. It has 56 tracks: 20 normal ones, 16 instrumental, and 20 uncompressed mixes (not sure what that means).

Hearing about this new release made me super pumped, because TSFH is awesome. There's just no denying it. If you haven't heard of them, they're a duo of composers--Thomas Bergersen and Nick Phoenix--who make music for trailers, like Audiomachine. I used to get the two mixed up, but after listening to them both for a while, I can hear the difference in styles. And if you're wondering about the name, the general theory is that zero steps from hell is hell (obviously); one step from hell is Earth; two steps from hell is heaven. I'd be inclined to agree.

This is the only track they've released thus far on their YouTube channel, but let me tell you, it's a winner in my eyes. The cover makes me think this is going to be more of a pirate sort of album, but I'm not sure. I know that Battlecry felt a lot like a fantasy album, so maybe that's what they're doing now?

The song is so great because it's variety of elements in it. It starts feeling very much like the TSFH we know and love with its beautiful orchestra and epic choir. Then Bergersen hits us with a very Celtic-sounding flute-whistle-thing (yes, I know my instruments, so hush) and a gritty electric guitar. I envision grand pirate ships tearing through bright blue waters, cresting waves, a strong wind on their back, fighting off monsters, enemy pirates, and soldiers. 

Then we get some very wonderful vocals by Merethe Soltvedt. I'm picky when it comes to female artists, but she has a voice I could easily listen to. I don't know why, exactly; there's just some ethereal aura about it.

The most unexpected element is the synthesizer that comes on during the last few minutes. It's a really cool addition that brings a unique flavor to the track. The electric guitar comes back, even grittier than it was before, and we get a fantastic conclusion to the song.

While this may sound like a random mix of different styles, in the end, it all works together and sounds natural. I can't get enough of this song. I've listened to it twice while writing this post, and it gets better every time. Battlecry is currently my favorite TSFH album, but Unleashed might be claiming that title.

What did you guys think? Does the music evoke piratey images in your mind, too? Are you as pumped as I am about the new album? (I have to get my hands on it ASAP!) Is TSFH's music heavenly to you as well?

8 comments:

  1. A new TSFH album??? :O YESSSS. THIS IS THE BESTEST OF NEWS. And ooooh my goodness, WAS THIS AN EPIC SONG. It absolutely brought on images of swashbuckling adventures. I could see it in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie or something. I absolutely adored the vocals that came in later. They were brilliantly done. Nearly gave me chills!

    Thank you so much for sharing this glorious news AND this epic song! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers! It is the most magnificent of news! We shall yell it from the rooftops and tell the whole world. XD I know! My heart swells with the epicness of it all. ^_^ That'd be awesome if they did the score for a pirate film--or any movie, really. They were simply perfect. :)

      You're welcome! I just knew I had to share the awesomeness. :D

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh, thank you so much for sharing! I need a new TSFH album like I need water. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! That's a good comparison. I'm going to have to steal it from you sometime. XD

      Delete
  3. Love that opening... it's a portal to the high seas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is! An epic opening for an epic track. ^_^

      Delete
  4. TSFH!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! ^_^ And yes, this totally makes me think pirates, that is so awesome! :D Kinda makes me want to write a story about pirates now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! They're so good at what they do. :D If only we had all the time in the world to write all of the stories.

      Delete